Made some Bandera chili today

B

buckarmadillo

Tuesdays are when The Saint works late so I tend to cook things that take until 9PM to serve (when she gets home). I thought about hamburger cooking and got to looking in the fridge. I found one pound of burger. Underneath it was a 1 pound pair of boneless pork chops. Hmmm thinks myself soooo I whip up a mesquite fire in the Bandera box. I cubed the pork and browned it in a dutch oven. I took it out and browned a pound of burger and drained the grease. I put the pork back in and added 16 ounces of water, 8 ounces of tomato sauce, cayenne, and the rest of the normal North Mexican chili seasonings. By the time my wife got home, I had sampled 4 bowls and eaten 5 tortillas! I am a sick NM piglet! I may put it under my armpits just so I smell good tomorrow.....even my farts smell good.......really! Bandera chili kicks it!

Tuesdays are when The Saint works late so I tend to cook things that take until 9PM to serve
Can you say whipped?

And as far as the rest of your comments go, it looks like you fit right in with the rest of us sick piglets. But, I gotta tell ya, if ya order some of those peanuts that we have all been talking about, it will make your farts rule the world.

To stay on topic, keep on q'in dude. But, that armpit thing, yikes!

Made Chile casserole on Monday night myself with some additions I have learned from the group. Best yet wife even said so. Knock your dick in the dirt good POOPIE Maynard.

brdbbq said:
Made Chile casserole on Monday night myself with some additions I have learned from the group. Best yet wife even said so. Knock your dick in the dirt good POOPIE Maynard.

How bout a recipe there Bri.

can you really call it Bandera Chili when you dont use Shaefer or Salsa?

I've been eating chili for the past week at least once a day. Can you imagine how scared my family and co-workers are getting? :-0

To each their own, but I question the logic of using a smoker to make chili. However, smoking the ingredients to make chili is an entirely different matter.

Anyway, what I do is used smoked brisket and/or smoked pork for the meat. I rinse some dry pinto beans and throw them into a pressure cooker ON THE STOVE with ham bones if I got em and some bay leaves. Add water till about half full. In a pressure cooker, the beans are tender in about an hour and the bones are pretty much stripped inside and out. Once I can safely open the pressurre cooker, in goeas a quart or so of home made salsa, a beer, some smoked pepper powder, some garlic, some cumin and some coriander. Saute an onion or 2 and throw that in and let simmer real low till thick enough to hold a spoon upright and add salt to taste.

By then, the whole house is permeated with the smell of chili, another benefit from making it inside.

Mark - I use chipotle chilis that get smoked in the Bandera. When you live in the chili pepper capitol of America, you use chilis in lots of things and they are cheap to buy. Chipotles are real nice and smokey flavored and then you get a bit of mesquite smoke in the Dutch oven
everytime you lift the lid. A little slice of heaven and you chase it around the bowl with fresh tortillas. Forget the Ozarks and come down to the Wastelands....we will make you a North Mexico Q'er....and bring a tree if you could, haven't seen one of them for years.

I BBQ the meat that goes into my chile and sil od the peppers if theres time. Or at least sear the meat over wood for a bit(peppers too). But a little time in the smoke makes a big difference, so Then after assembling and cooking the chile on the stove for a little bit, it goes into the smoke chamber for a few hours, no top, stirring often.

I took alot of abuse about my chile......... till the Bashes when believers were made. :twisted:

BBQchef33 said:
I BBQ the meat that goes into my chile and sil od the peppers if theres time. Or at least sear the meat over wood for a bit(peppers too). But a little time in the smoke makes a big difference, so Then after assembling and cooking the chile on the stove for a little bit, it goes into the smoke chamber for a few hours, no top, stirring often.

I took alot of abuse about my chile......... till the Bashes when believers were made. :twisted:

You made a believe out of me. Damn that was good still taste it. Or it may have been the rice falling in it from the thrashing I took. :shock:

"I use chipotle chilis that get smoked in the Bandera. When you live in the chili pepper capitol of America, you use chilis in lots of things and they are cheap to buy. Chipotles are real nice and smokey flavored and then you get a bit of mesquite smoke in the Dutch oven"

Tried my hand at making Chipotles last year.
Bought about 10 lbs. of ripe Jalapenos at a steal
from the Farmers Market here. Got them at a good
price ‘cause local people buy only the green ones. Used Mesquite
wood to smoke ‘em.
Turned out great. I use them in and on almost
everything. As an addition to rubs for brisket, ribs, chicken,
and in soups, or stews.
A brisket rubbed with Southern Flavor &
Chipotle powder along with some Horsey Sauce for dipping & about
6 or 8 racks of baby backs done with David’s Habanera & Jalapeno jelly’s
are going with me to a Super Bowl party. David it will be the first time I will use
your jelly. I will give you a report.
Chipotles Rock!!!!
Oh, by the way, the first time I ever heard of Chipotles was on
the old Yahoo Site. Then all of a sudden everybody like Arby’s,
etc. had a Chipotle sauce

Anchos are to Poblanos what Chipotles are to Jalapenos. Ever try some Cabo? Less heat but a very full/unique flavor. I use them in spagetti sauce too. If you grow your own you can pick them small then stuff iwth bacon bits & cream cheese for some awesome turds.

Mark said:
Anchos are to Poblanos what Chipotles are to Jalapenos. Ever try some Cabo? Less heat but a very full/unique flavor. I use them in spagetti sauce too. If you grow your own you can pick them small then stuff iwth bacon bits & cream cheese for some awesome turds.

No I never have, but it sounds tasty. What's the best way to prepare Anchos?? Is it the same procedure you go thru with Chipotles??
Same wood?

Yep; same prep. Type of wood? Not that important, but personally, I'd prefer a lighter wood than mesquite so as not to overshadow the subttlities of poblano's.

Mark said:
Yep; same prep. Type of wood? Not that important, but personally, I'd prefer a lighter wood than mesquite so as not to overshadow the subttlities of poblano's.

Thanks I'll give them a try, and let you know.

Yeppers, I use anchos with my chili, they are perfect for it. Some people recommend drying them in the oven before grinding them, but I just tear them up into small strips and put them in the coffee grinder and it works fine.

To me, the best chili is a combination of a mild chili like New Mexico or ancho chilis, and a hot one like chili arbol. I usually make one big batch with ancho chilis, then split it into two smaller batches. The wifey batch stays at it is, while my batch gets a good tablespoon or two of arbol chilis.

Also, use fresh whole cumin and grind them in the grider, they will be much more fragrant than cumin that is already ground.

We should have a chili section in the recipe section, I know it's not really que but just about everybody that smokes also makes chili.

I made chili too this weekend. More traditional but it was pretty good. Did it with grass fed beef and is it erer good. Rained all weekend so I did not fire up the smoker to do the meat.

Back