Lil help with some buffalo brisket

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey guys, before I jump into it blind I wanted your opinions on doing a couple bison brisket for a wedding this weekend. I have five brisket to get done, two of them buffalo. Does the lean quality of the meat mean that I should probably leave it untrimmed and lay a little bacon on top during the cook? Does it usually take less time than a beef brisket? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks gang.

Never have even seen buffalo brisket but I would consider using fat trimmed from the beef briskets instead of the bacon. Seems the bacon would change the flavor too much.

But as they say, "what do I know?".

We have used bacon fat that was heated until it turned to a liquid. About the only mopping I do is lean meats. I know guys that have good luck with injections, some with chemicals, some without. The beef fat would probably work fine, never tried it though. As a rule buffalo runs leaner, but not always as much people think. Hot and fast has worked better for us. Good luck. Steve.

I have no idea, but just want to say that I hope you let us know how it turns out, along with some pron! I love buffalo, but never had brisket. Aside from the obvious (burgers), I had a prime buffalo ribeye at The Chop House in Cody, WY and it was one of my favorite steaks that I've had EVER! Buffalo is awesome. Just wish it was more available (i.e. affordable). Can't wait to hear how the brisket is!

Yeah, thinking about injections for today. Going to do them tonight and see how it goes. Should be an interesting evening.

We will see how she goes, got them all out, laid out on the counter and have started injecting them with creole butter. Going to let them rest for a bit, then rub, flip and inject on the other side. Will have three grills going all night tonight. Since they are leaner, I am starting later in the evening to ensure that they don't finish in the middle of the night.

I have done quite a few grass fed and finished briskets, they are quite lean, though probably not as lean as bison. I have never had a problem with moisture, without any added fat or injections. Once you get the collagen rendered, the meat will be fine. But, since I am late to this party, I am sure the fat is going to make it better.

Back