Babyback Rib Selection

burnt end jayhawk

Reaction score
I prefer to eat BB ribs over spare ribs, but it seems that more teams place with Spares here in the midwest. What does everyone look for when purchasing BB ribs ib Cryovac? Is there any difference in where thay are purchased (Costco,Sams,Restaraunt Depot)? Any help is appreciated.

burndt end, the BBs sometimes can have a thick fat later that takes away from having a meaty rib. The spares lack that fat layer and are a little longer on the bone with more meat attached. Spares look better in a turn-in box as you can fill the box up symetrically better. Both have taken top honors in all the events. If that make sense. The big thing about either one is look at the bone side to see how straight the bones are. Either one can really be curved badly which is not what you want.

I get loinbacks at Costco and they come peeled without the fat, Meat mentioned above.

Thanks for the advice! I cook on a UDS with high heat, so I am assuming that it is better to remove the fat as best a possible before rubbing. I have also heard of injecting ribs for flavor. Has anyone done this and what type of results did you get?

Back