THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D

DubSmoke

like it says... wood for butt. in your opinion what is some of the best smokin woods to use when smokin some butt?

on to what im doin,

this Saturday i am going to be smokin aprx 60 Lbs for pulled pork. my dad hired me (for free lol) with out me even knowing to smoke for their church BBQ/picnic. today i made a basic rub consisting of : brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard and fresh ground black pepper. it came out good, a little sweet, a little salty, a little spicy with good depth of flavor. very well balanced flavors in my opinion.

correct me if im wrong on this.. im goin to trim the excess fat off, slather with yellow mustard, coat in my rub, smoke until aprx 160, wrap in foil, continue cook until 190-200, take off heat wrap in towel place in cooler to rest for an hour then pull and sauce to liking.

and as far as wood (my original question lol) i have some cherry in my garage that i have used before and came out good. was just curious to as if there was a more so favored flavor of wood for the butts. :thumb:

Expect as many different answers to this question as there are types of wood in America. I personally like Hickory for smoking anything/everything (mainly because I have access to it and it's delicious).

i let my butts get to 195-200 before i pull and foil them and wrap them in a beach towel and throw them in a cooler.

as far as the wood goes, hickory is not bad, neither is cherry. i prefer just straight charcoal though.

i figured as much, i just wanted to start kind of an unofficial poll to see what people liked and used then make some of my own decisions based upon some of the answers i get. i never really thought of usin hickory for pork, i always use it with beefs.

deepsouth: i had some one tell me about wrapping it at 160ish to not only keep moisture trapped but that the meat doesn't really take any more smoke after the first 4-6 hrs. on large cuts anyway.

shiz: i have always wanted to try peach, but don have easy access to it here in the PNW

Austin: thats what i kinda figured, but didnt have enough time to plan that one out lol, my dad volunteered me not that long ago. i need to talk to one of my friends that has property over eastern washington, i know he has apple and cherry trees, i should see if he has peach or if he can get some. i know peaches can grow here

deepsouth: i had some one tell me about wrapping it at 160ish to not only keep moisture trapped but that the meat doesn't really take any more smoke after the first 4-6 hrs. on large cuts anyway.

makes perfect sense. thanks.

apple is abundant here, you can get dust, chips, chunks, small or large sticks

Apple or hickory for me. The local BBQ store carries them in chunk or chips. I prefer chunks

As you know these are all personal preferences. I like Hickory on pork, it's stronger. i have used cherry, apple and peach and out of those hickory is the best for us. I do not wrap in foil and I pull them when they are done, that's a butt for you. You can cook two side by side and they will get done at different times. No mustard either.

Good sounding rub, butt it will be better with some cumin, I promise.:-D

You've got some cherry, so go to the store and get some hickory to mix with it and you're good. It's not barbecue in Tn unless you use at least SOME hickory. I don't think bbq pork shoulder or brisket is "right" without nutwood, but I personally prefer to mix peach in with the hickory for pork shoulder. (I prefer some oak for brisket, but use pecan or hickory if that's all I have.)

Oh yeah, If the butts aren't too cold, the rub will take to the meat and you can save the mustard for makin' sauce and puttin' on hotdogs and burgers.:p

#$%#! this Samuel Adams Octoberfest was good.:-D

I agree with the above post about Cumin. I use Hickory, Apple, Pecan, Cherry or Orange. My favorite is Apple or Orange.

thanks for all the great advice everyone. ill have to go to the store to get some cumin. also i just remembered that i have 3 12'' rounds of alder in my truck my dad gave me about a week ago. i can possibly cut those down to fit in my 22" WSM

Back