New York Strip Loin

Q Harley

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I do a lot of New York Strip on my gas grill and also on a Weber charcoal grill. I have a request from some of my family members to do a complete strip loin for the holiday.
I know this cannot be grilled. I need some advice from some of the Brethern out there who may have done this. I do not think I can do this on the smoker, but will be doing it indirect on a charcoal grill.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Harry

A strip loin roast is delicious. Just follow your favorite prime rib recipe. It's one of the only roast other than a rib that can stans up to thick slices. I prefer salt and pepper low heat until 120_125, rest, than sear. I've used the kettle and wsm with success.

I would cook it like a prime rib. 225 until it hits 120-125 internal and then let it rest and it will rise a few degrees from there.

Why can't you do it on your smoker ? Will the smoker not be available ?

As everyone else has mentioned, go low and slow with it. If you want a nice crust on the outside, pull the loin around 110-115 degrees and throw it onto an insanely hot grill or even a pan on your stove. Leave a temp probe in while doing this and pull when you hit 125ish and then let it rest for just at mid rare. One thing to note is that the final temp you should take the roast to all depends on how you like your meat cooked. Obviously, if you like medium or midwell, you'd take it to a higher temp.

thanks to those who replied. I do a lot of pork loins on my brinkman pro. I do these indirect. I treated the nys loin in the same way. Seasoned the loin with salt, pepper, famous Daves steak seasoning and Canadian Steak seasoning. Put on the Brinkman, with two chimneys of lit charcoal and some apple wood for smoke. Heat was a little high at 350 but kept a close watch on the internal temp. An hour and a half later, pulled the loin at 120 degrees and let rest for fifteen minutes. Internal temp was at 126 degrees at time of slicing and serving. The inside of this loin was better than any prime rib I have ever seen. The meat was for tender and as juicy as any meat I have ever eaten. The two ends were at a medium well, and there was a couple eaters who liked it like that. The rest of the eaters liked the medium rare and the rare center. No pictures, as I have no idea on how to post.

Thanks
Harry

You need to fix the posting problem. I want to do this. Don't click the quick reply post at the bottom but the post reply button and look for the paper click next to the font and smiley at the top.

Otherwise, :clap2:

thanks to those who replied. I do a lot of pork loins on my brinkman pro. I do these indirect. I treated the nys loin in the same way. Seasoned the loin with salt, pepper, famous Daves steak seasoning and Canadian Steak seasoning. Put on the Brinkman, with two chimneys of lit charcoal and some apple wood for smoke. Heat was a little high at 350 but kept a close watch on the internal temp. An hour and a half later, pulled the loin at 120 degrees and let rest for fifteen minutes. Internal temp was at 126 degrees at time of slicing and serving. The inside of this loin was better than any prime rib I have ever seen. The meat was for tender and as juicy as any meat I have ever eaten. The two ends were at a medium well, and there was a couple eaters who liked it like that. The rest of the eaters liked the medium rare and the rare center. No pictures, as I have no idea on how to post.

Thanks
Harry

I'm glad it came out well Harry!

For the pictures, the easiest way is to upload them to a photo hosting site like Photobucket and then copy the IMG CODE for each picture from Photobucket and paste it in your post where you want the picture to appear.

Back