Pork taste

• Thread starter pop's smokin hot que
  • Start date
P

pop's smokin hot que

Big Blue and I did a trial cook this weekend we cooked all four meats. Everything was very good except the pork. The outside was very good, it had a good smoke ring but inside it was just tender pork. Question, how do I get the inside to taste like the outside? 1) inject 2) Add rub after it's pulled 3) Other?:icon_sleepy

Injections help.

I am planning a cook for Friday with two butts. Both will be butterflied to increase the surface area for rub. One will be cooked that way and the other will be rolled back up. We'll see what happens.

I dry rub the night before and rub it again before it goes in the smoker. I also inject before and while cooking then save all the drippings to pour over the pork after pulleding it.

Injecting will help with the flavor inside, if you foil it I use the juices that it leaves in the foil and mix them back in to the pulled pork for flavor and moisture. I have never added more rub after pulling so I am not sure how that would work.

If you do use the juices from the foil to mix back into your pulled pork, I would "de-fat" the juices first. Either get a fat separator or simply put all the juices in a cintainer and cool it, then spoon off the fat.

My two cents - nothing wrong with pork tasting like tender pork!

All of the above.
1) inject
2) rub on the outside
3) mix in drippings when pulling
4) add a little rub when pulling (if you like the rub)
5) good pork tastes like pork
6) enjoy

All of the above.
1) inject
2) rub on the outside
6) enjoy

Yes, I agree. We tend to use smaller butts like 7#s for comps to have a little better bark to meat ratio. I feel that when pulled and mixed together the bark flavor should balance with the meat flavor. We do use a injection too. I feel it makes it more juicy than adding alot of flavor. A little bit of a thinned(with defatted meat juice) sauce helps too. I hope this helps.

Jason

All of the above.
1) inject
2) rub on the outside
6) enjoy

Yes to all. Get this....one of my Egg cookin' buddies does a late injection, when the butt (or brisket) is almost out of the plateau. I think this has some possibilities especially for guys like me that do a long rest. What think thee???

I second what they have said.

reseason after pulling.
use juices from foil.

Thanks for the advice it's all good and I will try it in two weeks at Cape Girardeau, MO.

Yes to all. Get this....one of my Egg cookin' buddies does a late injection, when the butt (or brisket) is almost out of the plateau. I think this has some possibilities especially for guys like me that do a long rest. What think thee???
Gonna try this one.

Back