Comp Class Recommendation

I think one thing to take seriously before taking a class is how much the teaching reflects the kind of Q you do. For instance, I plan to take the Plowboys/ Butchers class primarily to get some tips on how to get the most out of the FEC. If you cook with a stickburner at high temps them maybe a class taught by Mike Davis or Myron Mixon would be better for you. In addition some classes give you a look into the complete cooking process (rubs, injections and everything else). Some will only give you help on techniques - but they won't give you specific help on flavors etc.

So, what do you need/expect to learn?

You also might want to do your homework on what type of cookers the "Teachers" have cooked on. You might get more for your buck. There are a number of them that cook on different types of cookers. Just because they use 1 type for competition doesn't mean that is the only type they have knowledge on.

I have been looking for info on Mike Davis's class since he is so close to me. Would love to do a Plowboys/butcher class, but it will have to be closer.

Butcher, you need to do a class at your place in November since you will not be making the trip to MI. I know of one person who would be there.

Thanks,

Fred

David's still coming to Michigan, cant wait to meet him and Todd in person finally!

Still a few seats for this class.

http://www.uevent.com/registration/?a=info

My wife said she wants to take a class so I can't wait to get her signed up for one. Maybe she will even let me tag along!?!

It would be nice to know who is planning on teaching a class in the winter when cabin fever starts setting in. Anyone have anything on the books?

Nate, send her over.... ;)

We have talked about your class - the donation to the foundation alone makes it worth it. However, that little wink suggests that you may try putting the moves on her, and to be honest I think she may be looking for a better offer. Do you promise to be on your best behavior? :laugh:

Its not that I had to drop out, due to economics and lack of sigh ups, it wasn't possible for 2 of us to fly out there with the cencus count. Another words there wansn't enough interest to warrant the cost of both of us going out. Todd is still headed out to run a full class and teach his winning ways.

Exactly what David said. We were forced to make a decision on this class about a week ago: cancel or scale back. We put it out to the folks signed up and they would rather have one cook versus no class at all. So we decided that I'd continue forward and hope for more people at a $250 rate. We are refunding the difference to those already signed up. NOTE: $250 is a value for these types of comp courses as most of you know. If you are interested, I'd jump before inflation kicks in. :becky:

David is coming to Detroit with me. Everyone should know that this will probably be the last time that David and I teach together. David's family has a lot of irons in the fire and he can't do it all. Unless something special comes up, this will be the only Plowboys/Butchers class planned. Detroit has good numbers and we are 100% committed to coming for that class.

We also have good numbers for the Smoke on Wheels/Plowboys class in New York State on Oct 30. That class is a go for sure.

Look for a class announcement coming for Pacific NW and Cali with Big Poppa Smokers. Gotta get through a couple of things this week (contest, catering, Scouts, and kid's grilling class) and then work on details for Jan-Feb 2011.

Scottie - When you get your next class on the books, I want a seat. As with Chris Hart's (iQue) class this last weekend, any chance to watch a master perform his craft can't be missed.

Look for a class announcement coming for Pacific NW and Cali with Big Poppa Smokers. Gotta get through a couple of things this week (contest, catering, Scouts, and kid's grilling class) and then work on details for Jan-Feb 2011.

How about a March class in the Mid-Atlantic region?

My wife and I are looking forward to your class up here in the PNW Todd...what kind of numbers do you need to make it happen?
JD

Exactly what David said. We were forced to make a decision on this class about a week ago: cancel or scale back. We put it out to the folks signed up and they would rather have one cook versus no class at all. So we decided that I'd continue forward and hope for more people at a $250 rate. We are refunding the difference to those already signed up. NOTE: $250 is a value for these types of comp courses as most of you know. If you are interested, I'd jump before inflation kicks in. :becky:

So you are saying that you are cheaper and easier?

*** Usually the way I like my women... :clap2:

BTW I do have a couple of irons in the fire for another class/fundraiser or two.

I have some connections to a university in central Virginia. Any good class offerers interested in trying to get a class scheduled here through the university with adult education credit attached to it?

My wife said she wants to take a class so I can't wait to get her signed up for one. Maybe she will even let me tag along!?!

It would be nice to know who is planning on teaching a class in the winter when cabin fever starts setting in. Anyone have anything on the books?

I am trying the 4legsup class in Jesup,Ia on November 5-6, shold be fairly close to ya :p:p

Back