20lb. bird, How long, approx?

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
All my crew is meeting here tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I have a 20 pounder waiting for the smoker. If we are to eat around 4 o'clock I am thinking it needs to hit the smoker around 6 ish in the morning. Am I close?

Depends on what temperature you're looking to shoot for, I do my birds at 350 and figure around 3-4 lbs. an hour.

I am figuring around 250 till almost done then crank it up.

Cooked a 17lb bird last weekend took 6hrs , temp in the breast was 172. cooked at 250

I pull mine when the breast gets to 161° then let it sit for a half an hour before carving.

i'm doing a 20 pounder on thursday... 325 degree egg dome temp (mad max turkey recipe) should be about about 15 minutes per pound or 5:00, but i will allow 6 hours for planning purposes. i pull at 160 breast/180 thigh and ice the breast for 20-30 minutes on the counter prior to cooking

i pull at 160 breast/180 thigh and ice the breast for 20-30 minutes on the counter prior to cooking

Huh?

I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant serving. But still, you ICE the bird before you serve? Can you explain? I'm new to all this smoked turkey business...

Huh?

I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant serving. But still, you ICE the bird before you serve? Can you explain? I'm new to all this smoked turkey business...

If you put a cold ice pack on JUST the breast portion BEFORE cooking, the theory is that the breast, which cooks faster, will start out cooler than the leg portions. That way, the entire bird will be done 'mo betta' at one time. (~165 in the breast, ~175 in the thigh)

Okay, that makes sense. So what's the drill? Put the bird breast-down in a shallow bowl of ice?

I'm going to try with ice packs, the ply-able kind that are meant for injuries.

Is anyone rubbing these birds or are you gonna let the wood take over

Is anyone rubbing these birds or are you gonna let the wood take over

I put the bird in a DP, raspberry vinegarette marinade to which I add a scope of lemon pepper for a couple of hours on the counter top. I don't brine because I cook a kosher bird (brined as part of the koshering process). After it comes out of the marinade, wipe dry, rub with olive oil sprinkle with salt and pepper and into the smoker at 275* Will spray periodically with apple juice. Cooking an 11# bird with couple of racks of BB's, and with any luck they will all go in and out of the smoker around the same time :wink:

Question. I was thinking if cooking that large of a bird, say 18-20lbs. Is it possible that bird of that size would maybe kind of be in the danger zone for too long as far as temp. goes to kill bacteria. I mean that large of piece of meat getting it up to temp let alone it being poultry. Don't know if I explained myself well. I myself would feel more confortable doing a 10-12 lb. bird.

Back