Wounded Warrior Project

Hey Dave, PM me an PayPal email address. Every time I see this thread I think I should donate. Need to quit procrastinating...

I will be there if I can Dave

I may be picking up the cooker Shirley Fabrication is donating to our BBQ for the Homeless project that weekend that will used for our Michigan Veterans Foundation cook in July and every charity cook we do from then on!!!

Cool Brian I hope you can be there but getting that cooker is paramount to us having enough cook space for the cooks we have to do.

As a disabled vet, I would like to thank you for your where your heart is, but I have no love for the Wounded Warrior Project. 67% of their revenue went to 'expenses' the last fiscal year. Their top officers make exorbitant salaries, $330K for Steven Nardizzi. GuideStar only gives them 3/5 stars rating, whereas Charity Watch gave them a C+. Compare this to Fisher House, who gets an A+, with only 6% going to expenses. It is the highest rated military charity.

I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade; I just like for the facts to get out there. Bill O'Reilly can KMA, and I am quite conservative. I think people should know where their hard-earned charity dollar is going. We give to Fisher House. Another little known military charity is Semper Fi Fund / Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, which a good friend (a retired Marine) gives to -- also A+.

Thanks again for your willingness to help vets -- the VA is certainly failing in that regard.

Thanks a lot for your service to our country Okie.
Also I do appreciate your adding that to the thread.

This wasn't put together by me, I was just asked to cook for them and doing what I can to help. As are all the great folks who are donating to make this happen.

Not to take away from what your doing Dave...
For those that can make it this Sunday ( always fathers day)
http://www.walleyesforwarriors.com/

Come out and support your Vets!! I sure would like to see the bleachers filled with folks cheering the Vets as they come back in with their walleye.
They are always looking for volunteers and donations each year.
Last year we cleaned over 1500 walleye that the Vets were able to catch ( that was 4 hrs of straight filling walleye), so each Vet took home 3lbs of cleaned walleye fillets.

Hey Tom no problem!

Thanks for adding this here and I hope you guys have a HUGE crowd and catch your limits :heh: this is an awesome thing you're doing for the vets brother

Not to take away from what your doing Dave...
For those that can make it this Sunday ( always fathers day)
http://www.walleyesforwarriors.com/

Come out and support your Vets!! I sure would like to see the bleachers filled with folks cheering the Vets as they come back in with their walleye.
They are always looking for volunteers and donations each year.
Last year we cleaned over 1500 walleye that the Vets were able to catch ( that was 4 hrs of straight filling walleye), so each Vet took home 3lbs of cleaned walleye fillets.

I will see you there Tom. I am a boat captain and will have Jerry Barkley with me as 1st mate

As a disabled vet, I would like to thank you for your where your heart is, but I have no love for the Wounded Warrior Project. 67% of their revenue went to 'expenses' the last fiscal year. Their top officers make exorbitant salaries, $330K for Steven Nardizzi. GuideStar only gives them 3/5 stars rating, whereas Charity Watch gave them a C+. Compare this to Fisher House, who gets an A+, with only 6% going to expenses. It is the highest rated military charity.

I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade; I just like for the facts to get out there. Bill O'Reilly can KMA, and I am quite conservative. I think people should know where their hard-earned charity dollar is going. We give to Fisher House. Another little known military charity is Semper Fi Fund / Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, which a good friend (a retired Marine) gives to -- also A+.

Thanks again for your willingness to help vets -- the VA is certainly failing in that regard.

Thanks for posting Okie it's good information. It makes me mad hearing how little of contributions actually make it to the people for which it's intended.

Believe it or not, there are much worse military charities:

• American Ex-Prisoners of War Service Foundation (F)
  • American Veterans Relief Foundation (F)
  • AMVETS National Service Foundation (F)
  • Freedom Alliance (F)
  • Help Hospitalized Veterans/Coalition to Salute America's Heroes (F)
  • Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Foundation (F)
  • National Veterans Service Fund (F)
  • NCOA National Defense Foundation (F)
  • Paralyzed Veterans of America (F)
  • Vietnow National Headquarters (F)

Okie, I do have a question for you, if you know the answer. What exactly qualifies as "expenses"?

For example in another thread for homeless vets it was said that a new building is being built that resembles a pentagon and they will be able to help more people. Is this an "expense"? I have no issues with expenses that help the people directly. I have an issue with expenses such as airline tickets or millions of dollars for sponsorship or advertising.

Mike, those are great questions. But, I would think this discussion might be better suited for a different thread / forum. Whether or not we or even Dave agrees with the way that WWP is spending it's donations, he is already on board with this cook for them. It might change his mind for future cooks, or he may decide that it is better than nothing.

No disrespect intended. Just hate seeing a great thing a brethren is doing be derailed.

Mike, those are great questions. But, I would think this discussion might be better suited for a different thread / forum. Whether or not we or even Dave agrees with the way that WWP is spending it's donations, he is already on board with this cook for them. It might change his mind for future cooks, or he may decide that it is better than nothing.

No disrespect intended. Just hate seeing a great thing a brethren is doing be derailed.

Amen.

Okie, I do have a question for you, if you know the answer. What exactly qualifies as "expenses"?

For example in another thread for homeless vets it was said that a new building is being built that resembles a pentagon and they will be able to help more people. Is this an "expense"? I have no issues with expenses that help the people directly. I have an issue with expenses such as airline tickets or millions of dollars for sponsorship or advertising.

36.3% was spent for fund raising. That is all I can find.

... No disrespect intended. Just hate seeing a great thing a brethren is doing be derailed.

Nothing is being derailed. I thanked Dave for his efforts, and made Dave and other people aware of military charities that do more for vets than WWP. Nothing political; nothing nasty. If people take it that way, it is their problem, not mine. WWP still does a lot of good. Being a disabled vet (not in need of assistance), this is a subject dear to me.

Mods, please feel free to move this post if it is inappropriate per your rules.

Thanks guy for the replies and the questions.
I will not stop trying my best to do whatever I can, in whatever small way it is, to help our Vets, and the homeless.
BBQ is what I and others love to do, and using it as a vehicle to bring others a bit of happiness or to raise funds to help is what, to me at least, what the Brethren Spirit truly is

Guys let's just let the side bar discussion slide off to the side.

Okie posted a fact that we all should know and I thank him for that.

OK now today the injection and rub for this hog arrived! :thumb:

A BIG thanks to Rich of Mad Hunky Meats for the generous donation :heh:

You are 72 miles from me! Let me ask the wife as I only get home on weekends. I am sure she will let me. I might get to ride my motorcycle up there if it's a nice day. Can you PM me the details on startup so I can create an agenda. Sounds like a great time!!!

Back