Pellet smoker

slowmo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am new to pellet smokers and somewhat partial to my offset new braunfels bandera. Bought a pellet smoker from Sams i and am seeing some pretty large Temp swings.
Wanted to get something I could more or less set and forget when I am cooking for just me and the wife
Anyone have any info on these or can point me in the right direction

I had the same issue and was steered towards upgrading the controller to a Savannah stoker

What are you calling a large temp swing? I would say do some cooks on it, and just trust the controller. If the food comes out good, don't worry about the temp swings. If it doesn't, then worry about it.

What are you calling a large temp swing? I would say do some cooks on it, and just trust the controller. If the food comes out good, don't worry about the temp swings. If it doesn't, then worry about it.

Agreed! When mine turns on, the temp when I close the lid will go 50 or more degrees higher for 20 to 30 minutes. During the cooking process, after temp settles, I could still see a 20 to 30 degree flux depending on what point the feed cycle is. When I turn the temp down to SMOKE (180°ish), from say 350°, the temp will shoot up 10° or 20° and then remain hot for easily 20 minutes before it will creep down.

Food always turns out good!

You all are describing exactly what I am experiencing
I will just not worry about the 25 to 40 degree variance I'm seeing and cook according to the temp of the meat
So on long cooks (brisket, large turkey) I'm assuming a person would use the smoke setting for 2 to 3 hours and then to the desired temp on the cook side and watch the IT of the meat

My Yoder usually has temp swings of 30+/- each way. When temp is averaged out over the period of cooking it is normally within 5 of the set temp. Good enough for me. I have averaged it out numerous times and different length cooks.

Back