Peanut butter in Chili?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this before?

It sounds a bit... odd.

Maybe it acts as a thickener or adds an 'earthy' taste similar to why chocolate is added?

Eric

Who knows, my daughter would like it no matter what. She eats peanut butter on everything, waffles, bologna sandwiches, pancakes, french fries, and yes I said french fries.

I've tried it a couple times before. You couldn't taste it all the chili drowned it out, but it id add a certain something to both the flavor and the texture. Definitely don't feed it to anyone though who has allergies.:wink:

I have heard chili cooks say that if you burn your chili to stir in a spoonful of PB to mask the scorched taste. Float a potato if it’s too salty, add brown sugar if its too hot, sour cream to smooth it out, bean juice to make the gravy shiny. you guys must have some tricks like this for comp Q...

PB is good but don't add too much. You can also add a small amount of dark bitter sweet chocolate for something different. It's really good made with some dried chilies nice and hot.

If some farkers put cinnamon and vanila in theirs, why not?

It's all about balance of flavors in the end. Spicy, Salty, Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Umame (I count spicy as a flavor, even though it "technically" is not). All of these additions are just tools to get your chili to trigger on all cylinders is all. For a mild, thin chili, I could understand being leery about adding such things as they would obviosly stand out. But in a well made red chili, with a flavorful meaty gravy and a good strong flavor of chiles and some onion to boot, then you are not going to notice the unique flavors of these items so much as the subtleties these things introduce (unless you add too much of them of course).

I have heard chili cooks say that if you burn your chili to stir in a spoonful of PB to mask the scorched taste. Float a potato if it’s too salty, add brown sugar if its too hot, sour cream to smooth it out, bean juice to make the gravy shiny. you guys must have some tricks like this for comp Q...

And don't forget vodka if it's too hot.

PB works just dont use the chunky and try to get it fresh ground - not all gunked up like what you buy off the shelf. Adds a nice fullness. And instead of chocolate - try cocoa. Gives a neat color and some people just sort of sit there and try to guess what you put in. A little expresso has also made it into my pot at times. But NEVER beans!

PB works just dont use the chunky and try to get it fresh ground - not all gunked up like what you buy off the shelf. Adds a nice fullness. And instead of chocolate - try cocoa. Gives a neat color and some people just sort of sit there and try to guess what you put in. A little expresso has also made it into my pot at times. But NEVER beans!

Amen to that.....no beans. And always use quality Gebhardts chili powder.

I've used cocoa before during an experimentation phase i was going through...but never used PB or chocolate.... I'll have to remember to use it if I need to thicken.

Man... and I thought puting cheese on top was pretty dang fancy!

Tom
NB Bandera
ECB

Sure why not, people put all sorts of weird stuff in chili, like beans and tomatoes.:twisted:

Not heard about the PB but what about serving cinnamon rolls with chili? How does that go together?

Back