2nd Post - Stump's Trailer

EEBTTF

Reaction score
I posted a pic of my new Deep South GC 28 last night. Here are a few of our Stump's trailer. It has 2 Stump's on it - Platinum and a Stretch - stretch is reverse flow. Full kitchen as well. These smokers were actually built by Stump prior to his departure from Stump's. Great rig - we use it to cook for our employees and larger groups.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 216
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 214
You're my new hero!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WOW!! What a great looking rig! I can imagine you draw a crowd when you pull up.

Great looking trailer. But a Stretch reverse flow? Please explain. My Stretch is just a typical gravity flow.

Thanks,

Robert

Great looking trailer. But a Stretch reverse flow? Please explain. My Stretch is just a typical gravity flow.

Thanks,

Robert

In the reverse flow setup the heat drafts from the firebox into the smoker and draws down under a plate to the end, then it reverses flow and drafts back over the top of the heated plate. Just a different air flow thru the smoker. Your stretch is a gravity feed smoker (not flow) - is your firebox on the same side as your stack?

I like to cook chicken on the reverse flow smoker - seems to have less hot spots and more consistent when cooking a more delicate meat like thighs (small pieces with a lot of surface area relative to weight)

Last edited:
Wow! Are you hiring??? Haha. My school's cafeteria probably isn't even in the same universe as the food that comes out of there for your employees. Thanks for sharing.

Very impressive rig and super cool how you are taking care of your employees.

In the reverse flow setup the heat drafts from the firebox into the smoker and draws down under a plate to the end, then it reverses flow and drafts back over the top of the heated plate. Just a different air flow thru the smoker. Your stretch is a gravity feed smoker (not flow) - is your firebox on the same side as your stack?

I like to cook chicken on the reverse flow smoker - seems to have less hot spots and more consistent when cooking a more delicate meat like thighs (small pieces with a lot of surface area relative to weight)

Stack is opposite of the fire box. I guess I was unaware they made a reverse flow Stretch.

Thanks,

Robert

Very impressive rig and super cool how you are taking care of your employees.

We started cooking for our employees about 15 years ago. Started on a simple Stump's stick burner trailer. As we continued to grow, so did the size of our cooks. On average we were cooking for over 100 people. Ribs, Chicken, Baked beans (with pulled pork that we cook in them), mac and cheese (with pulled pork), sausage, green beans and home made cole slaw. So we upgraded to this rig about 9 years ago. It probably has 100,000 miles on it! We cook on this rig 20+ weeks a year and it has been invaluable. We are getting ready to retire the trailer and go to a larger gooseneck rig. We will keep the smokers and build a new trailer. This trailer is over 14K, which is too much for a bumper pull.

It has actually had a few appearances on Pit Masters when Stump was on the show. I have cooked with Stump at a few competitions - completely different from backyard cooking. I really want to get into competition cooking, but I cook at home almost every weekend and for our employees a few times each month - so just haven't made time for it.

One thing that is different about our trailer is we wanted the cooking to be a group effort and inclusive for our employees, that is why everything is at ground level - no climbing up to cook. We can all stand around the smokers and talk and enjoy the fellowship. We close the doors and everything stays clean as we roll down the road. It has nice big electric awnings that give us shade and protection from the rain. XM Radio and Fans all around to keep the air moving and flys away from the rig when we are cooking. It is plumbed with onboard propane for all of our burners and hot water heater. It is a joy to cook on.

Thanks for all of the nice comments - I will share some pics of the new trailer as soon as we get it finished.

Last edited:
Wait...

Stump is no longer at Stumps?

No - he wasn't forced out. He sold his interest to the current owners (Which are still making great smokers!)

Impressive rig for sure. And sounds like you use the heck out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back