WSM 22.5 assembly question

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After 10 years of cooking on drums, I pulled the trigger on a 22.5 WSM. Assembly went well with one exception. No matter how much “persuading” I tried, the ash pan simply doesn’t fit. I’ve bent the prongs up and down a little here and there, but can’t get all three of them to line up. Damn thing is like getting a cat in a bathtub. Is there a secret to getting this thing installed? I doubt they put the wrong one in the box, but I may at least reach out to Weber for a new ash pan, as the one I have took a bit of a beating last night. Thanks and wash your hands! :thumb:

Maybe you could send a picture? It's my understanding that the bottom of the unit is the ash collector with a grate setting slightly above on tabs.

Hmmm, not sure. Mine didn't come with an ash pan but it's been about 11 years since I bought it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure how you assembled yours, but as with anything I assemble as such, I do not tighten down any of the bolts until everything is in place, and all bolts are in the holes, and in this case the pegs (prongs pegs whatever) are inside of the slots as best as possible. When I assembled mine a few weeks ago, it wasn't a huge issue. Just try to get the three pegs in the slots, all bolts loose, and tighten one leg at a time and continue checking the make sure those pegs are in the slots.

Yep. Heat shield, sorry about that. Going on outside (not inside :) ). I followed the method from VWB of starting upside down and still only getting 2 of the 3 pegs to line up with the shield. But I was able to get it a bit more snug. So that might be better than nothing! Looking forward to a test run this weekend!

I had the exact same thing with my WSM22 I got for Christmas, it was the legs, one was for a WSM 18, so they sent me a new set of legs. They told me they had some problem with this happening because some 18 legs got mixed in the production / packaging. They were really good about it, and I had the legs in 3 days. Fixed the problem.
They did want me to register the smoker though.

I had the exact same thing with my WSM22 I got for Christmas, it was the legs, one was for a WSM 18, so they sent me a new set of legs. They told me they had some problem with this happening because some 18 legs got mixed in the production / packaging. They were really good about it, and I had the legs in 3 days. Fixed the problem.
They did want me to register the smoker though.

THAT actually makes a lot of sense. I was wondering if the shield was from a smaller model, but one of the legs seems to make a lot more sense. I’ve taken it apart and rebuilt twice and it simply won’t fit. It attaches to two legs, but the third is about a half an inch off. Driving me nuts. THANKS!

I’ll give Weber a chance first. Their customer service is usually pretty solid. I bought it from a locally owned place here in KC, so I don’t want to make it their problem unless Weber tells me to pound sand.

Spoke to Weber this afternoon. Replacement legs and heat shield are on the way!

They did the same for me, and I had the new leg kit in three days, now I have 2 extra 22"legs, and 1 18"leg.
another reason I like Weber, they stand behind their product!!

Back