Gearing up for Turkey Day

TN_BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thought I'd practice a little before Turkey Day gets here. I love spatchcocked chicken...love it, love it, love it.

15-lb. turkey
I brined it overnight
Butterflied it (spatchcocked)
Seasoned it
Let it air dry for about 6 hours (looks gnarly, but helps crisp up the skin)
Cooked at 350° over direct heat (no water pan)

Turned out fine. About the only adjustment I'll make next time is to put more sugar in my brine and cook to 170°.

Summer200803038.jpg

Summer200803039.jpg

That's a good-looking bird ya got there. I really like the dark skin. What temp did you cook this one to? Why the change in temp?

That's a good-looking bird ya got there. I really like the dark skin. What temp did you cook this one to? Why the change in temp?

I ran it up to 180. It was a bit dryer than I'd like. Not bad, but not the best I've done.

180 where? 180 in the thigh should be okay, maybe upper 170's. I gather the problem one encounters is that the breast doesn't need to go that far.

180 where? 180 in the thigh should be okay, maybe upper 170's. I gather the problem one encounters is that the breast doesn't need to go that far.

I measured temps in the thigh.

I concur. It was just a tad too dry for my tastes. All others loved it, but I'm a stickler when it comes to BBQ (i've had plenty enough Q to know good from great and this turkey was good).

One trick I have learned to keep the white meat moist is to put a zip lock ice pack on the breast while it is sitting out on the counter. This keeps the breast colder than the dark meat. Then when you put it on the smoker the white meat is about 20 -25 degrees cooler and will be at about 160 when the dark meat is 180 therefore producing a moist breast and safe to eat dark meat.

I am going to be spatching a turkey real soon. I have found that flipping to meat side up 1/2 way thru the cook helps retain moisture because it pools on top of the bird instead of going in the fire.

This works well for chicken and I suppose it will be the same for turkey. It makes the skin real ugly. Just right for my ugly drum.

$.49 lb today- cheaper than the whole chickens I bought! Big birds are gonna get a work out on the Egg, Drum and rotisserie!

One trick I have learned to keep the white meat moist is to put a zip lock ice pack on the breast while it is sitting out on the counter. This keeps the breast colder than the dark meat. Then when you put it on the smoker the white meat is about 20 -25 degrees cooler and will be at about 160 when the dark meat is 180 therefore producing a moist breast and safe to eat dark meat.

Sounds like I might have to try that.

One trick I have learned to keep the white meat moist is to put a zip lock ice pack ...

Thanks. That's the kind of tip I look for. I love simple and elegant solutions --- because they usually work! Did you figure it out? If not, who? If so, where and when? There's at least a one-beer story there.

Gonna try this for sure....

TN ... how long did it take to get the bird to 175?

I think I'll be doing one in the Competitor in a few weeks.

TN ... how long did it take to get the bird to 175?

I think I'll be doing one in the Competitor in a few weeks.

Not long at all. I think it was in the smoker for about 2 hours. When I do chickens, they only take about 75 minutes.

My water pan is removeable (don't think they are in the Competitors) so you might find cooking times to be a bit different.

Thanks

I do have a fixed water pan, but it has the hide setter so I can open that and get up to 350 easy - even with water.

The hide setter is about a 4"x6" channel in the center of the waterpan that can be opened to let heat and smoke in directly from the firebox without going through the side channels. It's great for getting the unit up to temp quick.

Looks good from here. Sounds like my approach as well, Brine, Air Dry (I usually have this ugly bird sitting up in my beer fridge for a few hours) I have also tried the ice bag method. Haven't really determined success of that or not.

Back