Grease on Concrete

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I cooked yesterday and now have grease spots all over my patio. Can someone suggest something that I can use to clean up these spots.

Best thing for grease on concrete, dawn power dissolver.
Spray on let sit, hose off, then bleach.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to use a weed burner to burn the grease off! Apparently concrete explodes A LOT quicker than I expected...

I´ve given up on that fight. :-?

Just pour grease as evenly as possible all over the concrete and it all looks nice and shiny.

DM

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to use a weed burner to burn the grease off! Apparently concrete explodes A LOT quicker than I expected...

should we ask how you know that? :confused::cool:

I have had some decent luck with oven cleaner and a scrub brush, followed up with a pressure hose. not perfect, but much better.

another thread somewhere around here said muriatic acid. But that was somewhat scary to me.

Don't worry brother....
No pics, didn't happen:wink:

Good thing I didn't have a camera...the exploded, rocket-propelled hunk of concrete would have shattered the lens of my camera instead of catching me 1/2 inch away from my eyeball!! Whew!

Put down a degreaser (Dishwashing soap is ok) then pour on some kitty litter and more degreaser until it is saturated. Let it sit a few days then sweep up and hose off, it will be gone, it will also be lighter than the rest of your concrete.

I gave up chasing grease spots on the concrete.it seamed like i was scrubbing more than i was cooking,now i just consider them adding character around the cook site. :)............muriaic acid works the best,followed by the pressure washer,then a seal with some Thompson's concrete sealer.After that, you can pretty much clean up any new spots with Dawn dish soap,a little scrubbing,and a rinse with the water hose.

Putting charcoal ash on it, let it site for a few days, then sweep it up... seems to do the trick for me.

(of course, its it rains, or you have a dog... this can become a bigger problem)

Don't worry about them, just keep cooking and there'll always be more. :roll: After awhile you won't even notice them anymore.:biggrin:

I use simple green degreaser for a pressure washer and it does a fair job as long as the spot has not had a chance to sit for several days. I am also doing this on a stone pattio and not concrete but I would assume it would do a similar job.

Detergant and litter works. So does CLR (Acid). Barkeeper's friend (weeker acid) may work too. Just be careful of pets and grass.

dmp

Simple Green works pretty good.

trisodium phosphate is the standard degreaser for concrete. it's not as harsh as muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and muriatic acid is not a degreaser.

Best thing for grease on concrete, dawn power dissolver.
Spray on let sit, hose off, then bleach.

Put down a degreaser (Dishwashing soap is ok) then pour on some kitty litter and more degreaser until it is saturated. Let it sit a few days then sweep up and hose off, it will be gone, it will also be lighter than the rest of your concrete.

Detergant and litter works. So does CLR (Acid). Barkeeper's friend (weeker acid) may work too. Just be careful of pets and grass.

dmp

Yep, Dawn dish soap and kitty litter works for me. Gonna move in a while. I'm thinking pea rock bed for the pits. Just rake it in.

They sell that grease remover at an autoparts that looks like cat litter. If you grind it in and let it sit it seems to suck it out. Then tide with warm water.

Wish you had posted that a few months ago. Popped off a dime size piece trying to get up some oil on a driveway.

If you have any, naptha works well. Work in the naptha, cover with some sort of absorbant, then sweep up.

Wish you had posted that a few months ago. Popped off a dime size piece trying to get up some oil on a driveway.

If you have any, naptha works well. Work in the naptha, cover with some sort of absorbant, then sweep up.

concrete does not like localized high temps. the apu (auxiliary power unit) exhaust on some military aircraft blows the concrete apart too.

Back