Yoder vs. Peoria

Doc6633

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new stick burner and have narrowed it to the Yoder Loaded Witchita and the Peoria 24 X 48 backyard cooker. I think they both have pluses and not a lot of negatives but love to hear everyone else's thoughts? I am sure there is another thread like this but I couldn't find it so my apologies if this is redundant.

The Yoder Kingman is 24 x 48, so that would be a more equal size comparison to the Peoria than the Wichita.

You can base the comparison on the base price, but I agree with nucornhusker, it should be on similar units to compare quality of the build and the features of each unit for a true comparison.

Keep us posted....

While I would love to do that and generally agree with the both of you my CFO (wife) seems to think price matters more. So unfortunately I am stuck trying to compare these two. Also, I am generally only cooking for 5 or so people with the occasional gathering of 15 to 20 so either should work. Not to mention Peoria just doesn't make a smaller one.

I get the comparison, you have X dollars, how much cooker can you get for it.

I looked hard at the Peoria when I was shopping for mine. I've never heard a bad thing about them, and they were fairly local. I ended up going with Shirley Fab (which is competitive to better, price wise, than Peoria) and even with driving down to get it I have no doubt I made the right choice for me.

I've never heard a bad word about yoder either though... Anyway you slice it you're going to make a good decision.

Edit : Looking at both, sure looks like you get a lot more smoker from the Peoria.. 20x42 on the Yoder, VS 24x48 with the Peoria.. Plus that nice big FB, direct grilling capabilities on the FB, dual exhaust to control your draft, and its even a little cheaper....

I have been lusting for a Peoria the last year or so. If you haven't yet, go the site and watch the power point presentation on their cookers. The insulated FB alone would be enough to steer me to the Peoria

While it is a great and proven design, the Wichita looks like any other offset like the OK Joe and such and has no insulated FB

Radio - I have seen the power point which is part of my problem. I was all set to get the Yoder and then I ran across that.

Shagdog - You are definitely right, I don't think there is a wrong answer.

ButtBurner - The pluses for both are generally the same but the differences are that Yoder is probably a little bigger company and therefore have grill covers and probably a little bit more availability when it comes to customer service. The PCC is going to be a bigger grill and has an insulated firebox as well as dual smoke stacks. As far as the minuses go I am not finding much for either pit however I have read a few times that the folks at PCC are sometimes hard to reach.

I love Yoders, but the price point you are looking at I would say get the Peoria. Bigger chamber, and the insulated firebox is a huge plus.

I have bought 4 pellet grills from Yoder, and I love their build quality. I am not as familiar with Peoria, but I would get as much bang for the buck as you can. Also, being in STL the insulated firebox is a big feature.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am definitely leaning toward the PCC now but am going to call them today to figure out all the ins and outs.

Does anyone have a good comparison about the difference between cooking in the insulated fire box versus non insulated firebox? In theory I think the insulated firebox is a no brainer but just wondering in real practice. Just seems strange to me that if there is a huge difference that some of the other brands are not offering it.

It is quite a bit more conservative on fuel. Also, the outside will not be screaming hot, and the paint on your firebox will not peel off from excessive heat, which means it will be lower maintenance to keep it looking nice. I love my insulated FB. Its a newer feature that is starting to be added as an upgrade more and more on offsets, but usually you pay a premium for it.

I've looked at most of the higher end brands,and just keep coming back to the Yoder Durango. It's one of the few offsets in that price range that I can hang sausage, hams, etc. You could almost get that for the same price as the Peoria if that interested you. I looked at Peoria, Meadow creek, lang and some others, but think I'm probably going the Yoder route. I sold one of my cookers to make room, and am just making sure that is what I want. A little more mobility like the Peoria would be nice. The Yoder seems like it may be a bit cumbersome for an almost 800 pound pit with no front wheels. The insulated firebox definitely interests me, but I'm wondering for my colder smokes in the hanging chamber if I'm better off without the insulated. Or perhaps I'd just need less fuel, and it wouldn't make a difference? I've never used an insulated firebox so I'm not sure how they would perform say on a hot day when you were trying to keep a cooler chamber temp. I'm sure in the winter it would be a delight.

I called and got the options list from PCC and as it turns out by the time I get the grill in the firebox, drain valve, insulated fire box, adjustable baffle and additional thermostat the price of the PCCis $900 more. That is with the Yoder being delivered and me picking up the PCC. The CFO is not going to like this.

You should talk to Tyler at Shirley Fab.. Or message Paul, he's a member here..

Tuscaloosa Q

(205) 799-0251

Best customer service you'll ever find, and they don't mind talking you through the upgrades/etc to get what you're after.. I bet they will beat both Yoder and PCC on cost... you'll just have a little wait..

Both great but I prefer PCC even with the extra cost. I got a quote from PCC and the only problem was getting it do the backyard which wasn't possilbe in my case since they only way to the backyard was through the side of my house and it was too narrow to go through. Again, I vote PCC.

Back