Hams

J

jsn1511

anyone have any secrets on smoking hams? how long does a ham generally take to smoke?

I do my hams at 250 deg for about 45 min a pound. I like to score the fatty top part before I pour on a marinade and let it soak in for a few hours. I like to use a mix of honey and worchestshire sauce for a glaze. Glaze right before you put in smoker.

I cheat, I use a pre cooked butt or shank, put it in the beast while doing some ribs, butt or other items. Smoke a 5-6 1b.er for about 3 hours, remove and serve. I take the remainder and cut it up into meal pkg. sizes for nuking at lunch or use in ham and beans.

The last time I used my pork butt as a baster. It was great.

Next time I plan on using one of those spiral cut jobs with the honey glaze. They are cheap at the grocery store but cost a fortune at the fancy Honey Glaze stores.

nice link, thanks for all your input guys. I don't know when i will do the ham but i will let you know how it tuns out when i do it.

BigdogSmoker said:
Next time I plan on using one of those spiral cut jobs with the honey glaze. They are cheap at the grocery store but cost a fortune at the fancy Honey Glaze stores.

Tried that once and mine started opening up and then wilting. If I do it again I'll tie it to hold the shape. Had some slices that dried out. YMMV

Jorge said:
BigdogSmoker said:

Tried that once and mine started opening up and then wilting. If I do it again I'll tie it to hold the shape. Had some slices that dried out. YMMV

That's why you need something greasy like a butt or ribs on top if it.

BigdogSmoker said:
Jorge said:
BigdogSmoker said:

That's why you need something greasy like a butt or ribs on top if it.

Fortunately for you, Emeril Lagasse will get the blame if I propose that here! :wink: "You've been watching FoodTV again, haven't you?!"

Harry need to chime in on this one! He does hams each year around Christmas.

Harry, where are you??

Also, Emeril did a show recently about brining a ham and then oven cooking it -- but of course it could be cooked in the Bandera!!

jsn1511

Whatever you do don't ask these farkers for a ham salad recipe.

Brian, I'm pretty sure the recipe you're looking for starts with 5 pounds of uncooked rice then....

Back