42th Q: Pork Shoulder Bratl on Mesquite [w/ pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wow, it has been close to 4 months since my last cook. It's a slow Qing year for me, work prevents me from following that passion. But then the time comes when one can not stand it any more without the Porkjes, and last weekend that point has been reached. My wife and & I are actually on a low-carb diet, so what better than a lot of beef & pork (but without the self made pita). So here we go:

A nice large pork shoulder roast without bone with speck in a self made general purpose rub

IMG_7571_zps0c68b5de.jpg

Outside temperature is close to winter and it was raining, a full chimney with Natural Lemon Tree Lump Charcoal helps

IMG_7572_zpsb383cb71.jpg

A single small piece of Mesquite buried in the middle

IMG_7573_zps0a400968.jpg

Our "Essence of Q" sauce in low-carb edition with a hint of Whiskey on the lower grate, waiting for the juices from the pork

IMG_7574_zps00ac68da.jpg

Untreated speck facing downwards

IMG_7576_zpse421cb28.jpg

I really should have tried to keep it unfoiled, those dark pieces were heavenly cook-treats, crispy flavor bombs, but with IT 165°F after a little more than 3 hours I foiled it in quite some apple juice.

IMG_7577_zps420f6aa3.jpg

The whole cook was finished at IT 195°F after a little more than 5 hours, then it went into the oven to rest.

It looked kind of crispy, but it wasn't, this time I omitted the re-crisping in the oven, as that shoulder was really large and would have not made it in one piece. The Mesquite smoke ring was exceptional, and not too much (as it is often mentioned that Mesquite does not go all that well with pork).

IMG_7578_zps58ce3de9.jpg

IMG_7579_zps6097e4f2.jpg

IMG_7580_zps367ae70d.jpg

IMG_7581_zps53acb41d.jpg

IMG_7582_zps29d341ec.jpg

IMG_7583_zps0a2881ac.jpg

IMG_7584_zps9411f067.jpg

This shoulder was unusually fatty, and I really should have tried to finally get it right without foiling.

After 3 hours at IT 165°F it looked just right from the outside, but surely wasn't ready on the inside. Any hint on how I should have proceeded at that point without foiling? Maybe only cover loosely with foil, or better no foil at all?

That looks great. The only suggestion I have is to move it to indirect heat after you have the look you want on the outside.

Gottcha, but how about trying a diffuser of some sort. If they don't make one I'm sure you could rig one up

Back