Need tri-tip instructions

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a nice tri-tip roast in the fridge and I am ready to smoke. However, having never smoked a tri-tip, I don't know the best way to go about it. Certainly there must be someone out there with an opinion about how best to cook it? Please help. Seasoning, marinating, etc. I need it all. At stake is pissing off the relatives and, more importantly, my wife.

If necessary, I am working with a vertical smoker (Humphrey's), so searing might be difficult. However, I do have a gas grill and a pellet smoker that I can crank the heat up pretty easily.

Hi all. I have a nice tri-tip roast in the fridge and I am ready to smoke. However, having never smoked a tri-tip, I don't know the best way to go about it. Certainly there must be someone out there with an opinion about how best to cook it? Please help. Seasoning, marinating, etc. I need it all. At stake is pissing off the relatives and, more importantly, my wife.

If necessary, I am working with a vertical smoker (Humphrey's), so searing might be difficult. However, I do have a gas grill and a pellet smoker that I can crank the heat up pretty easily.

It is most common to treat it like a fat steak and grill it rather than smoke it, then reverse sear it.
It is fast smoked as well.

Either way I wouldn’t exceed 127F internal before taking it off to rest. Tri tip tends to toughen up at medium or above.
Season with Salt and Pepper...or Q-Salt if you have some.

Agree with the above - reverse sear is the way to go for nice even doneness.

Also, how you slice it will have a big impact on how tender it is - make sure you're slicing against the grain. Here's a helpful diagram:

20170329_Timberline-Tips-Tritip-Against-The-Grain-Infographic_BG.jpg

Smoke it til about 110, the move to the grill and sear it.

Ive smoked them and theyre ok...I really like a direct cook over lump. A 3 lber I will do about 3 flips at 13 minutes each....rubbed with Carne Crosta. Finish about 150*

I Jiccard mine always and then take the advice given by your brethren

Smoke on oak at 325° until 115° internal. Then sear over blazing hot coals. Then slice properly.

Traditional cook is grill over red oak coals.

Salt, pepper, garlic for rub.

So - oak pellets to 115 - 120 F IT, then reverse sear on the gasser.

Smoke it til about 110, the move to the grill and sear it.

Ditto. Sear for about 1 min each side (or longer, depending on your taste). Let it sit for a few minutes and slice against the grain. Leftovers are great for a Bblackstone scramble the next morning.:biggrin1:

Cook it just like you would a thick steak. I like reverse sear.

I second this...just like a fat Ribeye except, I prefer to sear first, then bring it to desired temp. I find it easier to hit a desired temp because of fewer variables (fire temp, time, etc.). I shoot for medium/rare-medium in the thickest part of the middle. Because it tapers, the ends will be well done.

S, P, G. That's all you need. Most important thing is take note of the grain when you cut. Sometimes the grain turns, sometimes it doesn't. Cut across the grain.

Forget all those recommendations .... sous vide it for aout 6-8 hr at 127 .... then sear ... perfect medium rare and nice and tender. Since a tri-tip is thick you can get away with that long SV. Or do it shorter then sear .... It will be perfect. IMHO

Smoke it at 225 until it hits about 125 then reverse sear. Let it rest about 20 min and your good to go. I like a santa maria rub or you can go salt and pepper will be good also.

Back