Thoughts on Wild Cherry Wood?

Eatin Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Friend of mine offered up some seasoned wild cherry wood. Anyone ever used this type of wood on their stick burner? Is it any good?

I've had good luck with it but as a flavoring wood in chunks for chicken on a kettle. Also helped with color.

^^^ same here , great with lamb!
I wouldn't hesitate using it.

Danger Danger do not use! Call me and I'll come and dispose of it! :roll:

we mill plenty of it up but never used it for smoking. I will have to try some next time we cut some up

we mill plenty of it up but never used it for smoking. I will have to try some next time we cut some up

WOW, you don't know what your missing..... Gives a sweet smokey flavor and a nice mahogany color. I use it whenever I can get it..

Wild Cherry is better then the fruit tree type you get from the orchards, fruit tree cherry is VERY dense and hard to split because of all the knots(caused by pruning). Wild cherry normally grows like a toothpick(straight up). Both taste the same, but I prefer wild hands down!!

I'm gonna have to head up to D Daves and find out to give you a educated opinion. ))))

Wild Cherry is all I use! Go for it and you'll be very happy you did.

Keith putting a pork butt on here in just a few............you're more than welcome to swing this way. I'm not sure how much field work we'll get done since it rained yesterday real good and I'm still doing some repairs.

Just got a load of cherry splits yesterday. Paid 45.00 for a full pickup truck. I guess that is a good price. Let me if it is not. It is a lot more than it looks like in the pics. 5 wheel barrels full is in the shed.Can not wait to try it.
CherrySplits_zps92aad451.jpg
CherrySplitsshed_zpsf9374e14.jpg

My thoughts on wild cherry are "No Dad, you don't need to burn that wood in your heater. I'll use it for smoking."
Love the way it works magic.

All wood is good for smoking as long as it is cherry!

Jeff
A quote from KCquer, one of the patriarchs of the Brethren, and the person the Q-talk roadmap thread is named for.
He was right then, and is still right. Cherry all the way.

Wild Cherry is all I use! Go for it and you'll be very happy you did.

Keith putting a pork butt on here in just a few............you're more than welcome to swing this way. I'm not sure how much field work we'll get done since it rained yesterday real good and I'm still doing some repairs.
I sure would if i could Dave. Thanks for the offer! I just got too much going on...gotta pick up meat and get ready to cook for about 30 tomorrow.

Back