Cold Smoke Tips?

B

Bro-be-que

Anybody out there use an electric smoker for doing summer sausage and other cold smoke applications?

I'm looking at a Masterbuilt and am wondering it they will actually produce smoke in the 100* to 150* range.

I'll be primarily using the rig for smoking/curing venison sausage in both natural and fibrous casings.

Thanks!

If you use an electric smoker like that you'll want a smoke generator like the A-Maze-N or Amazen tube smoker to go with it. Those things don't produce good smoke on their own.

True cold smoke is under 100 degrees and there are plenty of options for that like the Amazens, Smoke Daddy's

I'm going to make a pellet UDS one of these days and it'll produce temps from about 100* to about 450*. Primarily i want to do the same things as you in it...sausages, jerkey etc..

One of my coworker's husband uses a modified soldering iron in an ECB as his cold smoker. He gets regular cheeses and smokes them, sausage, etc. He really does a great job with it and has produced some great food. I wish I could have seen it before my contract ended and I had to move on and leave the area.

Pro Q cold smoke generator's another good one and it won't break the bank. As for tips? Make sure any meat has a good pellicle to help the smoke stick and don't rush it. Unlike hot smoking, cold smoking needs chance to mellow. So for meat I'd give it a few days in the fridge (bacon etc) and cheese I'd wrap in cling film and leave for at least two weeks

For cold smoking, if done right you can use a cardboard box to smoke in, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I use the A-Maze-N pellet smoker. I choose this because you can place inside any smoker and operate with or without heat. Pellets are more readily available than sawdust and manufacturers like Traeger will ship for free if you purchase two 20 pound bags..

I am just learning to cold smoke. One of things I found out, after my first few tries, is that you can cold smoke in stages. Some people appear to do this regularly because of their setup and/or schedule. I think this is a good way to go while you are figuring out your setup and the amount of smoke you like for a particular item. I have had a few items that I think may have been better with less smoke. Additionally, like Yeti referenced some items the flavor seems to change somewhat when the items are refrigerated after smoking (I guess you could call it a resting period for cold smoking). My next batch of bacon I am you going to do in stages and start out with about 2/3 the time I have seen others use in order to find out what I like in my setup.

Last edited:
Back