Brisket Hold Question

S

SnugHarborQue

Need some advice....
Im cooking for about 70 people on saturday and need to finish the briskets ahead of time so I can load the cooker (Backwoods Fatboy) with ribs. In the past I've read about foiling briskets and wrapping in a blanket then putting them in a cooler - does this work and how long will they hold? Any other ideas?

Need some advice....
Im cooking for about 70 people on saturday and need to finish the briskets ahead of time so I can load the cooker (Backwoods Fatboy) with ribs. In the past I've read about foiling briskets and wrapping in a blanket then putting them in a cooler - does this work and how long will they hold? Any other ideas?

Absolutely you can do this. After removing from smoker, let the initial heat/energy dissipate from the brisket for 5 minutes or so, especially if you wrap while they are in the cooker, then close up and hold in a cooler.

They will stay hot for 6 hours or more.

Absolutely you can do this. After removing from smoker, let the initial heat/energy dissipate from the brisket for 5 minutes or so, especially if you wrap while they are in the cooker, then close up and hold in a cooler.

They will stay hot for 6 hours or more.

+1, I do this a lot and am amazed at the temp that the brisket will hold. It also helps it tenderize.

I do not have the experience that these other guys have but when I hold brisket, it tends to only hold for 4-5 hours.

If you want to be professional, buy some pro plastic wrap at sams (wide stuff), wrap them enough where no juice can escape. Wrap them one way, then the other, then the other again and so on.

70 people is a small group so the lowest setting on an oven should keep the briskets nice and steady AT A SAFE TEMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with no risks. Forgo the foil... too messy. Then when you are ready to slice simply pull the briskets and rest on the counter 30 minutes prior. Open the plastic envelope and drain.

Also, if anyone decides they want to ring in on the myth of dioxins in plastic shrink wrap... ignore them. This has been discussed here many times. If you want a nice broth, keep your eye out for my video on flash congeals...

If you have a great natural bark like I do (made from my Dirty Dalmatian Rub) ...when you let the brisket sit out unwrapped a few minutes it will snap back.

Back