Makin' Bacon (first timer)

txags2011

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Trying to get better about documenting my exploits somewhere, and this is much more fun and interactive than a blog.

Like many others around here, I decided to snatch up a pork belly from Costco a few weeks ago to try my hand at bacon. Started with a belly just shy of 10# and cut it up into 4, 2.5# or so hunks. Two got dry cured and vac packed for a week, the other two got a wet/brine cure for about 10 days.

Here are the dry cure slabs before going into the vac.(yes, I cut them the wrong direction)

bacon_20271782188_o_zpsomjnvvhy.jpg

Both got a mix of kosher salt, brown sugar & Prague powder (1/2t per slab). To make it fun, one got slathered with Round Rock honey and I added Meatchurch Honey Hog Hot to the cure, the other got a pure maple syrup (grade A amber) with fresh cracked black pepper.

After a taste test and an overnight rest, these two were smoked at my brother in law's on his BGE (with some sockeye he had) with a few pieces of lump and applewood chips. We ate some and sliced it... good lawdy this stuff is amazing. The honey hog one had just a touch of the jalapeno, but the maple pepper is insanely delicious.

The other half came out of the wet brine on Tuesday and rested overnight before hitting the smoke on my kettle for about 3-4 hours with hickory chips. Sliced it up and vac packed today.

image_20396862380_o_zpsb4eeokns.jpg

image_19963944853_o_zpscczvy2ok.jpg

The wet cure batch is a little salty, should have soaked it some more after the cure, but its still good. I also think the instacure penetrated more in the wet, as that portion was much more of the nitrate pink.

This may have been the first, but will not be the last.

Thanks for lookin!

That looks great. :thumb: :thumb:

Having just made my 1st batch, I know that homemade bacon is soooo good. (Although I used the wet method) Bravo!

Not trying to be to critical but your cures are way to complicated. But the big thing is never smoke fish in the same cooker with beef or pork. Not never on my BGE!

Not trying to be to critical but your cures are way to complicated. But the big thing is never smoke fish in the same cooker with beef or pork. Not never on my BGE!

Appreciate the feedback, but based on everything I looked at isn't salt, sugar and instacure like as basic as it gets? The rub and pepper was just for fun, and hey, its tasty. The wet brine was pretty basic.

And I agree, I advised against the fish situation, but his cooker and I wasn't there so, live and learn.

My goodness... I so need to do this... I have a plethera of butts on hand, might do some buckboard bacon!!!

Looks great, looks like Costco is where I'm going to get my pork belly. I'm building a freezer smoker now that I plan on using to cold smoke sausage, cheese and bacon in when I'm done.
\m/HOOK'EM HORNS\m/

Last edited:
Back