Location of temp probes with guru or stoker on smoker

afreemaniii

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm sure some other folks on the forum use a guru or stoker with a BWS Party or similar smoker...at least I hope so. I'm wrestling with finding the right place to attach the temp probe for the pit temp. I've heard some people hang it from the tel-tru thermometer on the door, but I thought I could get a more accurate temperature by hanging it off a rack in the middle. I've done a couple cooks with my new stoker and tried hanging the probe off the top rack and find the temp to be 20-40 degrees hotter than what the tel-tru reads.

Where do you attach a temp probe to accurately measure the cooking temperature of your smoker?

Last edited:
Aubrey ,when I used Matts I had it about 1/3 of the way down.Hows the cook workin otherwise?

It was another high heat cook when I wasn't planning on it. I found a gap in the firebox door that let the fire run out of control in the beginning and I couldn't recover. I ended up cooking everything at 275. The basket held a bunch of charcoal and I didn't have to refill it so that was nice. The basket of charcoal lasted about 11 hours even at the high temps. I'm eating here in a half hour so we'll see how it tastes.

Thanks again for making the baskets.

If you happen to mess up the gasket ,I may have some here.I ordered extra and it appears to be the same size as what Buzz got when he ordered the replacement for when I redid his doors.

Back