The Money (Long)

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
OK, maybe I'm just slow on the uptake, but I've got 1 nagging question. Reading another thread a comment was made about not going to the Jack, because the payday was light. I agree it's light, but if you do contests, it ain't for the money. I'd cook the Jack no matter the cost if invited.

Then Scottie (CSC) made a comment that it was about the money and his foundation. Agreed, great cause, but - nagging question is back!

How much money can be made as a function of the contest circuit from prize money and associated ancilliary sources? I know that if I cater 2 days any given week for 200 people each time, that I can generate somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 - $6000 in revenue.

How can contests, with all the variables taken into consideration, be a viable revenue stream?

We don't expect to break even at contests. If we did we would be highly disappointed. Doing comps is not for the money, it is for the fun and friendship.

I think contests can be "about the money" without being a viable revenue stream. Mainly because cooks are looking to recoup expenses. Most hobbies don't allow for recouping expenses unless you do them competitively. To me, being about the money just means that I get to make back some of the cash I've put out to enter, not that I'm earning a living at it (God forbid I ever had to rely on my Qing abilities). This allows me to enter more contests to continue to do the thing that I enjoy.
Problem is, there are so many expenses for numerous contests and I can't make it all up on one or two so it isn't a viable revenue stream.

Jeff,
Makes perfect sense, sort of our philosiphy. I was just intrigued by Scotties comment that it was about the money. I see some teams pouring what appear to be huge amounts of money into contests (it costs us $500 - $1000 each) so if you go do 10 or 20, it's getting really expensive.

Well I darn sure know the contests are not about the money for us as I would go broke. We go for the friends. Piss of the people who don't like us so what.hahahaha I do however like the cash cash cash I think that is why my middle name is Grant or Cash. Yep it is Cash anyway I like cash so it is for the cash.

I guess I lied I am in it for the money. grin smiley face guy should be here now. but I can't find him.

I did 4 contests this past year, which was my first. I broke even or made a tiny amount in two of them. I agree that it's about the experience more than anything, but it is definitely nice to come home with a check.

As for a viable revenue stream, I can't imagine that. If I won 10 GC in a year, I couldn't replace close to my normal job. Now there's something to be said for Q-ing competively for a living, no boss, etc. I guess it comes down to how much sponsors will pay, but I doubt it's that much. Especially in the upcoming year with everyone cutting back on expenses.

I don't think it's wrong to approach this like a business, to some degree. But I agree, if I was just looking to make money I would unfortunately be dissapointed more often than not.

It's about the money for me, because that is what my foundation is all about. I chose to tie my hobby into something that I believe strongly with. Raising money to find a cure for cancer. So if I am able to make money at a bbq contest, in the end, it's a victory for a cause. Granted, I get to keep the hardware....

I read in the paper a guy who made over $40,000 one year in prize money. If you do enough contest and your consistently good you will make some good money. Then sponsors come in and soon you aren't paying for a whole lot out of your pocket.

I read in the paper a guy who made over $40,000 one year in prize money. If you do enough contest and your consistently good you will make some good money. Then sponsors come in and soon you aren't paying for a whole lot out of your pocket.

If you cook enough, and you are good enough it could be done I guess. That's a hard way to earn 40K though.

Well I darn sure know the contests are not about the money for us as I would go broke. We go for the friends. Piss of the people who don't like us so what.hahahaha I do however like the cash cash cash I think that is why my middle name is Grant or Cash. Yep it is Cash anyway I like cash so it is for the cash.

I guess I lied I am in it for the money. grin smiley face guy should be here now. but I can't find him.

I agree that it is not all about money. We all like winning and getting some cash back. I know the very very few times we have gotten a call our team does not split the money. We put it back in the pool for our next comp. But regardless it is a lot of fun and get to meet really nice people.

That was my post originally referenced and as I said...I was gonna get pounded for my view...which is OK. I knew I would be stepping on the pride of those that may have done well at the Jack and my sincere congrats to them for their excellence! It apparently means a lot. To us however, I would take as much pride in a win we had in non-sanctioned South Carolina event as the Jack. J.D.'s make darn good booze but DO NOT take care of the winners with accepatable cash prizes considering the prestige their marketing department has been successful in creating for this brand. MANY other contest pay out a WHOLE lot more and unfortunately do not carry the recognition because they use their earned income for nonprofit purposes. AND worse, the KCBS plays right into this nonsanctioned (I believe) cook. Why other contest organizers are not up in arms with it is a suprise to me!

We do in excess of 20 contests a year and we HAVE to be aware of the potential winnings or losses. because that is a HUGE cut into my personal funds. As a viable revenue stream....I would not hold my breath! To help pay for this expensive hobby is wonderul!

As Myron Mixon said once...and not an original phrase....but..."it's all about getting paid. Winning is fun to me." I agree.

Last edited:
I like Scottie's view on things, with his winnings going to his foundation to raise money for a cancer cure is awesome, my wife and I both are involved in our local relay for life, and I'm also a volunteer for the ACS road to recovery program, and once we get out comps skills up to par and get into the money, we'll be donating part of it to the acs,,cause we need to find a cure,, and it takes money to do that,, ,Keep up the good work scottie,, and its all about the money, money,,,yeah,,yeah,,,, I'm always looking for more ways to raise money in our area to help.

I like Scottie's view on things, with his winnings going to his foundation to raise money for a cancer cure is awesome, my wife and I both are involved in our local relay for life, and I'm also a volunteer for the ACS road to recovery program, and once we get out comps skills up to par and get into the money, we'll be donating part of it to the acs,,cause we need to find a cure,, and it takes money to do that,, ,Keep up the good work scottie,, and its all about the money, money,,,yeah,,yeah,,,, I'm always looking for more ways to raise money in our area to help.

I :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap you and Scottie. If we had more people like this in the world it would be a much better place.

The best way to make a small fortune in BBQ, is to start out with a large fortune.

Behind every BBQer there is a spouse with a job in town.

I have a question about the pay out of an event. What would be a fair pay out if the event had 20 to 25 teams cooking? How much for the GC, RGC, and 1st in each of the four meat categories?

It's not about the money, but it is about the money.

"About the money" is as nebulous a term as "viable income stream", and that's why it's like trying to grab a handful of jello.

When a team is approaching contests from a purely-hobby standpoint, it's not about the money. It's a money-sucking pastime just like many others -- you pay to play.

When a team approaches a level of consistency that gives them a shot at payouts when they go, the money starts to factor in. How far did you travel to get there? With gas prices this last summer, that was a huge factor in expenses (for us at least). You start to quantify what expenses are, whether you're in the black for a contest or for the season.

Once you're in the black, then it's more about the money. You get to like not being upside-down. And a contest either has a payout for you in terms of money, or something else you want, be it points, prestige or the chance to see somebody.

A "viable income stream" depends entirely upon definition. Does "viable" underwrite the contest endeavors, or are we talking about making a living? It's entirely possible to have contest payouts keep ahead of contest expenses, even without sponsorship. I don't see a whole lot of people deriving their living from it, though. $40K in prize money is a different animal when it's accrued through thirty or more contests, and expenses are pretty close to income.

So, I guess, I fall back on what I tell VQ:
"Competing isn't expensive. Losing is expensive."

Back