• Smoked Ham Hocks & Beans

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys! So to give credit where it's due, I got this idea from Smokin Aussie's hock & beans post a while back. It was a pretty cold windy night last night, relatively speaking. It was about 64˚:shock:, so I decided to make the ham hock & beans dish and serve it up over some white rice and boiled green bananas. Definitely hit the spot! It came out so awesome I figured some of you guys up north must be pretty cold by now so I'd thought I'd share the warmth.

I sauteed up some diced bell peppers, onions, carrots & garlic in butter and evoo. Then added diced tomato, tin kidney beans, shredded ham hocks & some pork stock and let simmer a bit before adding s&p to taste.

Ham hocks I had cured and smoked along with my Christmas hams:
65d6fedf.jpg

All simmered down & hearty!
0bc5edfc.jpg

And dinner's served.
f39da5d5.jpg

Thanks Bill,
Cheers!

pork and beans

nice!
Gotta try that soon!
Real winter fair.

RockyAthabaska
Weber 18”kettle
Weber 22.5”kettle
Performer green
Weber silver B gasser
UDS
A man never tells you anything until you contradict him.
George Bernard Shaw

Congratsz for making me stupid hungry Ph.!
I bet those are green nanners?
The nanners really Phinish this plate of Pork n Beans!:cool:

Congratsz for making me stupid hungry Ph.!
I bet those are green nanners?
The nanners really Phinish this plate of Pork n Beans!:cool:

Yup Phu, they are boiled green bananas!! Cut the hand off the plant today! :thumb:
Cheers

Looks great! Enlighten me on the taste of boiled green bananas. Are they sweet or bitter and starchy like a plantain?

Just plain fine there! It's 37:shocked: here this morning and that does warm me up:thumb:

Very nice Bill! Wish you would send up a plate of that to your Northern Brethren!

Wow! That looks absolutely fantastic, Phrasty! great job!

BTW, i hope that you survived the cold snap! :becky:

Green fig is nothing like a plantain. Lots of green fig used in the Caribbean...along with plantain, but not similar to each other.

Ummm... We were talking about green bananas, not figs. Did you mean banana?

The food looks great but that picture of the hock is prolly the best pic I have ever seen on here did you do some kind of photoshop on it

Looks great! Enlighten me on the taste of boiled green bananas. Are they sweet or bitter and starchy like a plantain?

No they are not sweet or bitter! The sweetness has not developed yet. They are not as "starchy" as a plantain. But it is like a starchy vegetable (like a ground provision) they go very well with stews and such. They are known in some places as "figs" which is thought to come from the thought that Adam & Eve used banana leaves instead of fig leaves to cover up their nekkidness. :shock:

Just plain fine there! It's 37:shocked: here this morning and that does warm me up:thumb:

Wow that is pretty cold for FL, I guess that weather is coming my way too. If its cold there in a couple days it's cold here as well. good thing I cooked up a big pot!

Very nice Bill! Wish you would send up a plate of that to your Northern Brethren!

Was saying thanks to Bill aka Smoking Aussie. It's in the mail :wink:

The food looks great but that picture of the hock is prolly the best pic I have ever seen on here did you do some kind of photoshop on it

Haha thanks, no photoshop work or manipulation at all! Thats all juicy porky goodness!

Cheers!!

Man that looks good. The beans almost look like they're in a curry sauce. Beautiful color!:thumb::thumb:

Nice work Phrasty! Glad you could put the recipe to good use!

Cheers!

Bill

Back