Smoked Ham Hocks?????

4dueces

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Fitz
Anyone ever smoked any ham hocks? I have 3 that I would normally cook in a crockpot (I know, WHY?) Girlfriend doesn't like ham & beans and I'm not sure the enviromentalists or my system could handle all of the methane gas at once.:sick: So if any of you fine gentlemen, Lanarc, Smokejumper or Militant Squatter in you're infinite wisdom have any suggestions, I'm listening.:cool:

I cure mine in a brine of curing salt (insta-cure), salt and some sugar (Sorry don't have my book with me at work for the amounts) before smoking as low as possible so they get maximum smoke.

They can then be used anywhere you would use ham or bacon. However they are really good with liquid applications like soup (cabbage/sauerkraut soup is fantastic in the winter) as you can get all of that delicious gelatin out of them.

HI Dave,

Yep I've done the hocks 2 times now. Last time I did 10 on the COS. Just AWESOME.

You have to brine them first. I'll send you a proper recipe later. I'm off to go shopping now though. Be back later in the day and I'll post it tonight.

Cheerio!

Bill

Back