Smoked Hocks and Beans or Peas

kgrigio

Knows what a fatty is.
I have had a real craving for some smoked hocks and beans lately so I decided that will be my family's Sunday dinner. I either do lima or split peas. As I am brushing up on the recipe I went searching to see if anyone does these types of soup different than the norm.

For me, it's typically onions, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, hocks, and either lima beans or peas with homemade chicken or turkey stock. I will sometimes throw in a bit of extra rub into the sauce as well. This week I think will be lima beans.

Does anyone add more or different ingredients than this for this type of soup? Looking for recommendations or should I stick with the tried and true?

I use the leftover pork or brisket juices. Usually over a pint per crockpot of beans. I almost always add a tablespoon of Gebhardt or Mexene Chile Powder. Background chile flavor not forward on chili powder. I try to cook them the day before and let them cool overnight in fridge. A deliberate reheat. Use coffee instead of water if liquid is needed. Smoked meat I usually have on hand but store bought smoked ham hock and/or turkey works. I usually use my own smoked cheeks,brisket,shoulder etc

Have fun and experiment (MSU)

Sometimes I use a tablespoon or so of tomato paste, add while sautéing the vegetables and brown a bit before adding your stock.

Back