High Heat Temp

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow with a butt and brisket. How high of a temperature do you use when doing HH briskets/butts? Also with your recommended temperature, what would be a rough estimate of the time frame for a 11lb packer?

325-350 for briskets.

I foil at 170.

It is done when a probe goes in like butter.

I then rest it in a cooler for at least 1-2 hours.

For an 11 lb packer at 350 it could be done in as little as 5 hours.

No telling exactly though.

When the probe goes in easily it is done.

325-350 for briskets.

I foil at 170.

It is done when a probe goes in like butter.

I then rest it in a cooler for at least 1-2 hours.

For an 11 lb packer at 350 it could be done in as little as 5 hours.

No telling exactly though.

When the probe goes in easily it is done.

I'm planning on serving at 6pm. I was thinking of starting at 7am. Perhaps use a slight lower temp of 300F?

I would put it on around 9 or 10. That would give you 6-7 hrs cook time and an hr of rest time. maybe a bit more rest time depending how soon the brisket gets tender.

I did a 10 or 12 lber a few months ago and it took approx 5 hrs for a probe tender brisket. It rested for about 1.5 hrs and it was the best brisket Ive ever done.
325 and I wrapped at 170. You can wrap later or sooner depending on the color of the brisket. I wish I have let it go another 5-8 degrees for wrapping as it was a bit light for me.

I run anywhere from 300-350, for most of my smoking anymore. The lowest i like to get when smoking anything these days is about 275. 325 would be ideal, as far as time for the packer, not sure they vary so much. I would start at your planned time, run 300-325 watch your temps if done early foil and put in cooler till time to eat

I do butts (7-8 lb) at 300, and they usually take between 6 - 7 hours. Be advised - and this is VERY important - you absolutely must take butts to a higher internal temp when doing hot and fast or they won't be tender. I learned this the hard way, and also read it on this forum! Seems like it was about 210 degrees or so. I just checked for doneness...

you should start them early and cooler them till needed, they will stay warm enough and the rest will do them good. if it takes longer to cook than anticipated then you will be late serving. better safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone. It's shortly after 6am and it's time to start trimming and rubbing.

keep in mind when you put it to rest that if you cooler it it will continue to cook. You may want to crack the cooler open for a little to stabilize the heat.

Last edited:
Alright guys, got the beast on the WSM, but am having trouble passing the 300 mark. I'm going to toss in a big chunk of oak to see if that helps.

do you have all vents wide open?

what fuel are you using?

with vents wide open, my 22's will easily(most of the time:roll:)go well into the 300's if not higher.

it could just be taking a bit longer because of all the coldish meat in there.

oh, i also use a foiled water pan, no sand, no water.

also, for HH brisket, i've foiled after @ 2 hours and cooked @ another 2 till probe tender and rest.

or

no foil for @ 7 hours till probe tender and rest.

both work well.

keep in mind when you put it to rest that if you cooler it it will continue to cook. You may want to crack the cooler open for a little to stabilize the heat.

If you're planning on holding for "hours", then you can simply leave the brisket out on the counter until the temp starts to drop. Once off the pit you'll notice the temperature will rise for a while. When it stabilizes and drops a "few-to-five" degrees drop it in a small cooler. Carry over cooking issues resolved.

do you have all vents wide open?

what fuel are you using?

with vents wide open, my 22's will easily(most of the time:roll:)go well into the 300's if not higher.

it could just be taking a bit longer because of all the coldish meat in there.

oh, i also use a foiled water pan, no sand, no water.

All vents 100% open. Using Comp K, chunks of oak and hickory. I started with half a chimney. I'm thinking I should add another 15-20 lit briquettes. It's hovering at 290 at the moment. I'll give it another half hour to see if it will go up.

water in the pan?

1/2 chimney should be good. starting out a little lower in temp isn't a big deal. it'll give the meat time to get some nice smoke and set up your smoke ring...if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Here she is just shy of 10lbs. Rubbed with Big Rons Hint of Houston.

IMG00449-20110924-0641.jpg

Rocking away

IMG00450-20110924-0819.jpg

Added the booty. She was rubbed with Simply Marvelous Cherry and some Hint of Houston to add some kick.
IMG00451-20110924-0859.jpg

One big problem, forgot to grab a case of cold ones. :crazy: 9am beer run? The Mac & Cheese will go on later in the afternoon.

Back