Are you burned out?

FatBoyz

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been talking with some friends "yes I do have friends" about feeling kinda burned out on BBQ and I am finding out i'm not the only one.

My question is are you feeling this and do you know why?
This is not a tread to start chit it's just a ? no right or wrong hear. Just how you feel.

In my case I think it is the economy here in Milwaukee, and we are trying to buy a house, and it was a costly comp year.

We did 10 comps. this year. At the end of everyone of them I felt a little 'burned out'. But by the time Monday afternoon rolled around and I remember the food, the fun, the friends, I find myself counting the days until the next comp. I think that its good for us here in New England because most of us take a few months off from competing in the winter. We just did our last comp. for the season last weekend in Sayville, NY. Now its time to review and practice for next season.
So I guess if your feeling a little burned out try taking a few months off. Good luck man!

Mike

I have been talking with some friends "yes I do have friends" about feeling kinda burned out on BBQ and I am finding out i'm not the only one.

My question is are you feeling this and do you know why?
This is not a tread to start chit it's just a ? no right or wrong hear. Just how you feel.

In my case I think it is the economy here in Milwaukee, and we are trying to buy a house, and it was a costly comp year.

I thought you were new.
You're burned out already?

BTW I'm in my 26th season and I still love the thrill of a cookoff.

again I will say this is a friendly thread it is not for slamming or anything just do you feel burnt was it a hard year for you thats all

and yes ray we are new but we have lives outside bbq like wifes kids buisnesses to run thats all thank you for your opinion grane of salt and all

I had a business in Chicago and a family for many years and I still competed a lot.

BBQ Competition is an expensive hobby and a lot of hard work. If you truly have the fire you'll get through the burnout and find a way to do it while keeping the family happy. It's not for everybody for many reasons. Money, family and business are certainly three.

I feel wiped out after every contest, mainly because I can't sleep. I always look forward to a week off but then once I get rested, sometimes, I've been known to sign up for an event I hadn't planned on doing. When I feel burnt out, it's usually at the end of the season. Not that I'm sick of doing contests but I welcome a few months off to relax, do things with the family and re-build the BBQ bank account. There won't be much "down time" this winter however. Besides the KCBS banquet weekend in January, there's organizing our event in Pleasant Hill for April and Kookers Kare in March.

What I'm REALLY burnt out on is eating BBQ. Outside of some pulled pork for sandwiches, chili and pork enchiladas, I doubt I'll eat much Q til spring. I always enjoy cooking it. It's the eating part that wears on me. :lol:

No burn out here. I view comps as "camping with purpose". It's a good get-away with the wife and the kids have fun, we yap at friends, all while cooking the food that we know so well.

dont get me wrong i love comp's but i find this year i am glad the comps are done in this area to much on my plate i think

This year I competed on my own 3 times and Pit-bitched 3 times. I am definitely not burned out i just cant decide which one i like better.

I pit bitch 1 time this year and i found it gave me alot more drinking time

We are done for the year. We finished up at Sayville. We would love to continue but we are either out of money, back in school, back to working weekends during the fall and winter or in my case the cold causes a big time problem for my bad right leg. As much as we would love to continue, we will take a break until April and practice during the winter. We want to wish everyone a safe, prosperous and happy winter and we will see you all in April.

I had a business in Chicago and a family for many years and I still competed a lot.

BBQ Competition is an expensive hobby and a lot of hard work. If you truly have the fire you'll get through the burnout and find a way to do it while keeping the family happy. It's not for everybody for many reasons. Money, family and business are certainly three.

i agree.but will admit ive gotten a quite bit tired of the comp scene this year myself and we had a pretty good year too. It was nice to just judge a couple so that i could still see the friends ive made on the comp circuit without all work involved in cooking in a comp
next season I plan on concentrating more on my business but will still do a couple local comps as its so much more than just cooking

I will say this...it was nice though to cook up some butts last night just for myself and family..seems like everything I cooked this past summer was for others :)

I did 4 comps this year, my first. It has only fuled my need to bbq. I dream bbq, I think bbq and I talk bbq more then ever. I can see maybe a temporary burn out. hopefully it would pass quickly!!

Like Smokin' Gnome, this was our first year and we too did 4 comps. While I'm usually wiped out Saturday night, but by Monday I'm looking forward to the next one. I hope to add 2 more comps next year. I have a lot of experimenting this winter, to hopefully improve our entries. I do understand worrying about the expenses and balancing work load with the comps though. I need to find some sponsors for next year.

We have competed in 48 contests in the last 3 years. We hate it when the season in the Midwest comes to an end, and can't wait till March-April comes to see our friends again and to compete. Nope, no burnout here.

Yes I'm burned out, but not just Comps it's BBQ in general.I don't even enjoy eating BBQ anymore.

BTW I'm in my 26th season and I still love the thrill of a cookoff.

If I had arm candy like yours to keep me company at comps I'd be thrilled, too, Ray! :rolleyes:

We only cooked two comps and I judged at too, so I'm not burned out, but i can understand how it can get tiring if you do more.

Burned Out????:eek: WTF? Maybe you should take up bug collecting or something. You haven't been at it very long have you?

No burn out here. I can't wait to get back out! Like Greg said. I hate it when the season here in the Midwest comes to an end. I keep my sanity during the winter months by BBQing at home and gettin my game on for next season.:biggrin:

We did 5 comps
I pit bitched with 3 other teams once each, and
I judged once

What I'm REALLY burnt out on is eating BBQ. Outside of some pulled pork for sandwiches, chili and pork enchiladas, I doubt I'll eat much Q til spring. I always enjoy cooking it. It's the eating part that wears on me. :lol:

I feel the exact same way. I enjoy the prep (other than chicken) and the cooking. So I've been cooking for neighbors and co-workers. But yeah, I still keep a little of it. And now that I have months til the next comp, I've been making some slight tweaks here and there to see what works and what doesn't.

But, I'd really like to put in a stainless sink in my garage (I smoke right outside the garage) so I could keep my kitchen clean - and take up beer making to have something to do while the smoker's going.

This was my first year competing and I only did 4 comps. I was very fortunate and managed to get calls in 3 of the 4 comps. It is very tiring, but when you here your name called it justifies everything. I'm done for the year here, but looking forward to next year.

Back