What price do pay for briquettes?

I use Best Choice, re-branded RO available at local grocery store or Backyard BBQ, thats rebranded RO, Chef Select (I think) from Walmart. Best price I got last year was 2-8 lb. bags for 2.99, about .19 a pound.

I use Best Choice, re-branded RO available at local grocery store or Backyard BBQ, thats rebranded RO, Chef Select (I think) from Walmart. Best price I got last year was 2-8 lb. bags for 2.99, about .19 a pound.

I will check these out.
When do they go on sale?

I use Kingsford bb for most of my cooking. The main reason is cost, consistency, and availability. When blue bag 2 packs are on sale it cost $0.25 lbs.

What price per pound do other briquettes cost?
When, where can i get other brands on sale?
What do you use?

I stock up on Kingsford every year, but for the right price I would try another brand.

This is what I do^. I don't think I'm gonna find briqs any cheaper than when KBB is on sale. I think I paid $9.97 for a two pack of 20# sacks. Bought 500lbs. Of it last spring.

Stopped at wallys. Bought a bag of Stubbs, one of the backyard bbq and a small bag of royal oak mesquite briquettes. All were cheaper then kbb When not on sale.

I left the bags in the car. When my girlfriend gets home I'm sure I will have to explain why there are 3 different brands of charcoal in the back.
Maybe I'll post a blue baggers opinion of various brands.

When my girlfriend gets home I'm sure I will have to explain why there are 3 different brands of charcoal in the back.
Maybe I'll post a blue baggers opinion of various brands.

How many pairs of shoes does she have? :mrgreen:

A comparison would be fantastic though. :thumb: I almost never buy KBB, and I've never tried the Royal Oak at all.

I also recommend any rebranded Royal Oak briq product. Academy sports has their "outdoor gourmet" brand of RO made briqs selling for $4.99/16.6lb bag. That's about 30 cents a lb. A couple times a year, the same bags will on sale for $2.99, that's 18 cents a lb.

Most regional grocery stores will have their own brand of charcoal, check for the ridge logo on the bag, those will be rebranded royal oak briqs. Walmart's version is great too. Think they are called "Backyard Grill".

My understanding is that the Best Choice lump is the same as RO, but the briquettes maybe not. Could be different in your area, I don't know. I bought some Best Choice briquettes recently and they were horrible. I am only using the rest of the bag to light the wood in my smoker now. Could have been a bad batch.. but it was bad. That being said we usually like best choice products.

I scored a pretty sweet deal at WallyWorld this afternoon. They had two 11.1-lb bags of Kingsford Comp briquettes bundled together for $10. They only had three bundles so I grabbed it all. ~70lbs for less than $30 = done deal.

Thanks, using the backyard grill brand from Walmart for picnic shoulder today. No ridge logo on these, but I'll check the label and see where they're made. Many times Walmart brands are just repackaged national brands.
Briquettes are larger than kbb. Seemed to smoke more and put out more heat. Didn't have as much left in bag after setting wsm, but it is a 2 lbs smaller bag.

Back