Two racks of spares thawing for the weekend

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I took out two racks of spare ribs to thaw. Tonight I'll season them up and cook them Saturday. Got a family thing Saturday afternoon. Brother in law is doing chicken and I'm taking the ribs.

Too bad I can't cook 'em over at his place. However, I'll get "honey do's" taken care of while they get NICE at the house.

Figure I'll do a 3-2 between about 9am and 2pm -- then maybe take them over in a cooler and finish them off on his grill. Or maybe I'll just finish 'em off at the house and take them in the cooler.

Decisions, decisions!!

Oh yeah, supposed to get up to 74 today and be clear and nice all weekend. :D

DFLittle said:
I took out two racks of spare ribs to thaw. Tonight I'll season them up and cook them Saturday. Got a family thing Saturday afternoon. Brother in law is doing chicken and I'm taking the ribs.

Too bad I can't cook 'em over at his place. However, I'll get "honey do's" taken care of while they get NICE at the house.

Figure I'll do a 3-2 between about 9am and 2pm -- then maybe take them over in a cooler and finish them off on his grill. Or maybe I'll just finish 'em off at the house and take them in the cooler.

Decisions, decisions!!

David, how do your frozen ribs turn out usually, can you tell a difference? I have never tried to smoke frozen meat before(except turkey). I guess you just thaw in the fridge? Sure would save some cash if I bought ribs in bulk at Sam's.

thanks.

Stucue74 said:
DFLittle said:

Decisions, decisions!!

David, how do your frozen ribs turn out usually, can you tell a difference? I have never tried to smoke frozen meat before(except turkey). I guess you just thaw in the fridge? Sure would save some cash if I bought ribs in bulk at Sam's.

thanks.
+
U Serious ???????????????

I thaw them in the fridge for at least one day/night (I pulled them Thursday evening - if I'd thought about it I would have pulled them Wednesday night!). I then remove the membrane (that's another thread :D) and season them up - wrap 'em in plastic wrap (usually just stack them up) and put them back in the fridge -- If they aren't quite thawed the first time I mess with them they'll be thawed by the time I cook 'em.

With ribs, pork butt, brisket, etc. I honestly don't see any difference betwee "fresh" and frozen. Heck half the time the "fresh" meat came in either frozen or deep chilled. I buy the cryovac ribs from Sam's -- we use spares at $1.87 per pound and the Sam's two pack pork butts at about $.87 per pound. We always have something in the freezer -- same with chickens - we buy on sale and freeze them.

I buy my ribs frozen in Cryovacs from Market Day at the school.

Throw them on the counter for a few hours. then in the fridge.

And David, as far as finishing them off in the oven or grill at the Bro In Law, you better wait to finish them at his house.

If it were me, I would end up finishing them in the car on the way over.

I was gonna use his grill to finsh off the ribs with sauce - remember the thread a couple weeks ago about the spouse and her rib preference? :D And, yeah, I better seal the ice chest of a couple of ribs might "escape" and never be seen again. :mrgreen:

Been coming back to this thread all morning, and finally decided to grab a couple of slabs so I don't have to suffer the envy. Now I just have to find the coffee grinder I use for the rubs, it's MIA.

Now I just have to find the coffee grinder I use for the rubs, it's MIA.

Bed, Bath & Beyon plus 20% off coupon :D

Hope you find it! I wore one out several years ago (used to grind all my coffee beans, and wheat for bread - that's how the blades got broken and motor wore out) and then went without for a few years -- finally got a replacement about 1 1/2 years ago. Don't know how I did without it!!

Well, actually I used a mini-food processor :mrgreen:

Now I have both and seem to use one or the other a couple times a week.

Mark this day down, Bill and I actually had the same thought and agreed on something! :mrgreen:

Solidkick said:

Mark this day down, Bill and I actually had the same thought and agreed on something! :mrgreen:

Marked
3:38pm CST 2004 in my 38th year

DFLittle said:

I was gonna use his grill to finsh off the ribs with sauce - remember the thread a couple weeks ago about the spouse and her rib preference? :D And, yeah, I better seal the ice chest of a couple of ribs might "escape" and never be seen again. :mrgreen:

Be real careful about putting Q'ed ribs on the grill. Every time i've done that, as soon as the meat hits a hot grill it shrinks real fast and pulls away from the bone. membrane side just disintegrates and the bones pop thru.. doesnt mess up the ribs, just isnt very appealing.

Back