Brisket....Prime....Disappointed

lcbateman3

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I purchased a couple of Prime Briskets for the comp I did this past weekend.

Compared to the usual I have being from sams I was disappointed. One of them would've been okay if I hadn't screwed it up. But the other, man, there was more fat on it, then, well then was on me. If I had trimmed it all off there would've been maybe 1/2 inch of meat and thats it. It was hard to tell in the Cryovac bag. Is this usual in a prime or did I just pick a bad one?

I think a concensus is that folks generally get what you pay for. I think you got a bad un.

I think you got a bad one. Prime does not mean all fat.

Is prime what a guy needs to ask for? Here in Beardstown I have a Sav A Lot. IGA , and Walmart. Everything is cryovac.The last Brisk. I got was 2/3 fat.I once asked the butcher at sav a lot for a 1st cut. He did , and it was pretty decent. However, it took 3 days to get it. My wife refuses to eat the meat due to the fat!:confused:

Last edited:
Is prime what a guy needs to ask for? Here in Beardstown I have a Sav A Lot. IGA , and Walmart. Everything is cryovac.The last Brisk. I got was 2/3 fat.I once asked the butcher at sav a lot for a 1st cut. He did , and it was pretty decent. However, it took 3 days to get it. My wife refuses to eat the meat due to the fat!:confused:

Fat is irrelevant if you cook it right. Now I am not talking perfect competition presentation, although I have seen someone trim it close then foil it at the end thereby killing what could have been impressive. A Brisket even Myron Made I thought was unimpressive...LOL It did win though.

About your wife and fat. If the brisket is done right and rests right, then you can unbook the brisket, trim it of the fat and you have a good cut.

Lately I have seen some postings of some points refered to as "juicy" when they have too much fat in between the fibers. Some of us like that though... but this also could be the fat she refers to. When improperly cooked, this is why so many are tempted to take the point and separate and render it some more, meanwhile their flats do not attain the zenith they could.

Video here shows de-booking a brisket

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/0/wHxH0iUfjMw

The one I did yesterday was clearly marked choice, from restaurant depot. $2.14 a lb. Lots of fat but at that price who cares. Saw an angus in Whole Foods for 8.99lb.,no fat at all. What good is that?

I paid 39.00USD for my last Brisky...It came from a local Butcher...I was not lookin for Prime, but I got it...Wish you nbetter luck next time Icbatman3

thanks for the video.probe the center for the fat layer.That will help!!!

Sounds as if you just got a skinny flat. Prime doesn't mean its going to be meatier or thicker. Bought a case last month and only 4 out of 6 were comp worthy. Gotta be able to feel em thru the cryo. ;)

I listened to the pod cast of Greg Rempe's brisket round table, was very informative and interesting to learn that the 3 top 10 KCBS brisket cookers had never seen a waygu brisket, let alone cooked one and all 3 of them typically just bought what ever sam's club had on tap... Kinda makes me think along the lines of "it's the cook, not the cooker..."

It is the cook and not the cooker, but, part of that is choosing the meat and method to match. Also, selecting the meat is a big deal, one of the advantages high end restaurants enjoy that us small guys generally do not. They get to shop minus the cryo (Tweedle excepted).

IMO the meats from Sams and Costco are miserable, but it could just be our local places. I guess I am lucky to have a farmers market downtown with lots of good butchers and packers.

The ones I have been looking at Sams lately have been just horrible looking. Thinking back over the 2nd brisket I picked up from the butcher wasn't that bad, just not quite I was use to. But the 1st one was like a brisket wrapped in fat sandwhich. Lesson learned....I will live to see another day!

I picked up a season's worth of whole prime briskets at a local HyVee for $2.29/lb last month. Even got to cherry pick the cases for comp worthy pieces. Will be nice not having to cook those crappy paper thin Sam's Club packers this year.

The KC RD did have a nice bunch of angus packers out today.

The neck of the woods I am in, we don't have much selection. I went up to Va to get these. First time I ever purchased from them and they came highly recommended. Truth be told, first time I ever purchased an entire brisket. Usually I just get the flat so it is something I am going have to get use to looking for buying whole ones.

Did see the prices of Wagu...kept moving on. It's new to be but I will get there, one way or the other! I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't normal....

now about the Two boston butts for $90......

Lately I have seen some postings of some points refered to as "juicy" when they have too much fat in between the fibers. Some of us like that though... but this also could be the fat she refers to. When improperly cooked, this is why so many are tempted to take the point and separate and render it some more, meanwhile their flats do not attain the zenith they could.

Video here shows de-booking a brisket

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/0/wHxH0iUfjMw

I stopped by Rudy's BBQ the other day just to check it out... I saw the term "moist" and "lean" for the first time and thought, "that is a better way of putting it". I love moist mixed in on a sandwich, and the BBQ joint I worked in as a teen put both on the plate unless you specifically asked for lean.

I always "de-book" my briskets before cutting.

I like to see my own terms come from someone new. Unbook being my word.

There's also a few other words. Loose cut, or actually, the entire term "Deckle" is of German origin that means kind of "little flimsy thing" a description of the cut to the t if its done right.

Lean or Juicy.

The theory is this... some like the flat meat, some like the point meat.... very few realize why... but one thing is for sure.... if i like deckle meat then I have maybe a 55 chance of being dis satisfied if I cannot specify. Give the person a choice they can relate to and you have a better change of satisfying them.

Nothing is worse than losing a customer because they got the wrong CUT of a perfectly done brisket.

Back