Not BBQ. Koji Rice Experiment.

Itsamarmot

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Earlier I had seen a thread about koji rice and had always been interested in it. I decided to try it out and figured I would post the results. It was similar to what some of the videos I had watched describe. The meat was a little firmer than I would have expected, but not in a bad way. It also tasted a little bit like a cheez it, but it added to the flavor of the meat, almost giving it another dimension.

We blended the rice in a magic bullet then rubbed the steaks down with it and left them in a DIY wire rack in the fridge. After two days I pulled them out and we rinsed off the remaining rice and they went for a bath in the sous vide with just salt and pepper. After coming to a temp of 130 in the sous vide I just seared them in the cast iron and we ate.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 61
Did it taste like it was dry aged? If so, what duration of dry aging would you liken it to?

Unfortunately I have never had a dry aged steak and neither did anyone else who ate them. So I cannot really compare it to a dry aged steak, but based on what I have read it had a lot of the "funk" flavor that would be in one.

Unfortunately I have never had a dry aged steak and neither did anyone else who ate them. So I cannot really compare it to a dry aged steak, but based on what I have read it had a lot of the "funk" flavor that would be in one.

Looks like a fun experiment. I'll give it a go.

Back