Aluminum For Building

L

liquorman

Ok Guys a friend of mine has these to huge aluminum tanks that were made for ballist in science reasearch boat I was wondering if this would make a good material for a smoker the stuff looks like its about 3/8 thick all flat sheets that they welded togeather

why not?

Aluminum...

I wouldn't see why not, it may not have the thermal mass as same thickness steel, but insulation would take care of that if heat loss became an issue. If these were made for ballast, they are probably pretty thick already. If you have a mig or tig welder (or know one) that wouldn't be an issue either. Corrosion wouldn't be a problem, and aluminum does accept paint with minimal surface preparation, and wouldn't require any more upkeep that a steel (maybe less because of the self arresting aluminum oxide layer preventing additional corrosion).

My guess is that most q-er's don't use aluminum (or stainless) because steel is a heck of a lot cheaper. If we all could afford stainless, we'd all use it.

Most of the standard gasser grills are cast aluminum, so a metal toxicity health issue obviously isn't a concern.

So what did I miss, why wouldn't you use aluminum?

If I was anywhere close, I would hesitate to go pick these up for the same purpose.

Maybe Norcoredneck could chime in here to with an opinion.

RMR

Aluminum has a thermal conductivity about 10x higher than steel.

That should make it great for internal parts of a smoker, especially for the inside wall of a double-walled and insulated cabinet.
The high conductivity means it should even out hot spots better than steel.

However, if used as an uninsulated wall, the heat losses should be a lot higher.

No expert here, just my 2 cents.

I agree, should make for on helluva smoker.
I'd love to find something like that.
Go for it!

Weiser

Aluminum...

I wouldn't see why not, it may not have the thermal mass as same thickness steel, but insulation would take care of that if heat loss became an issue. If these were made for ballast, they are probably pretty thick already. If you have a mig or tig welder (or know one) that wouldn't be an issue either. Corrosion wouldn't be a problem, and aluminum does accept paint with minimal surface preparation, and wouldn't require any more upkeep that a steel (maybe less because of the self arresting aluminum oxide layer preventing additional corrosion).

My guess is that most q-er's don't use aluminum (or stainless) because steel is a heck of a lot cheaper. If we all could afford stainless, we'd all use it.

Most of the standard gasser grills are cast aluminum, so a metal toxicity health issue obviously isn't a concern.

So what did I miss, why wouldn't you use aluminum?

If I was anywhere close, I would hesitate to go pick these up for the same purpose.

Maybe Norcoredneck could chime in here to with an opinion.

RMR

Well Ive decided to go cut these thiings up and stick them under my deck till i think of what to do with them. Its just to much material to let go to waste.

The ones on mine seem pretty heavy - I thought they were cast iron. I can't remember ever seeing aluminum grills on any grill - gas or charcoal.

The ones on mine seem pretty heavy - I thought they were cast iron. I can't remember ever seeing aluminum grills on any grill - gas or charcoal.

I believe Rocketman is referring to the body of the unit and not to the grates.

Last edited:
Back