DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So my work had a Chili Cookoff contest and I decided to join in on the “fun”. I put fun in parenthesis because I had to make the chili on Tuesday after work and didn’t get done until it was 9:00. I then had to wait until it cooled off enough to put it in the fridge. So I’m in bed at 10:15 and the alarm is set for 4:30. This so I can shower and get everything ready and make the drive up to the L.A. area on Wednesday. I made a White Chicken Chili called Chili Blanco. I used a recipe from All Things BBQ. (Here's a link to his video: https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/chili-blanco/)

I tweaked the recipe a little. Here are the ingredients I used with my tweaks in red.
• 2 lb chicken, boneless breasts or thighs (I used 4 boneless breasts)
• Carne Asada Seasoning (I used Fajita seasoning)
• 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 large yellow onion, diced
• 3 Anaheim chiles, seeded, diced (I used 2 Anaheim and 1 Poblano)
• 1 jalapeno, seeded, diced
• 1 tbsp All Purpose Rub
• 1 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp Mexican oregano
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup flour
• 2 (15 oz) cans of great northern beans, drained, rinsed
• 1 quart unsalted chicken stock
• 1 cup heavy cream (I used Caciqui Crema Salvadorena)
• 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
• 1 bunch cilantro, minced
• 4 oz (1 cup) pepper jack cheese, grated

Didn’t have time for a fully documented cook photo spread but here is what I did get. I had taken some chicken I had in the freezer and thawed it out. Assembled most of my spices (some I didn’t use) and the chicken.

Sliced al the breast in half to increase the surface area

and then sprinkled on the fajita seasoning.

I grilled the chicken on my preheated Grill Grates I got from BPS.

Brought then inside to cool

while I started prepping the veggies and other ingredients.

Onion and Poblano diced

and now the Anaheim’s added.

I took all this out and placed it in my 9 Qt. Dutch oven to sauté. This is where I was pushing for time and quit taken all the pictures that slow down the cooking process. I did get one of the final results.

I really liked the flavor and heat profile of it. It had some heat, but the heat was flavorful and not just hot. My wife also liked it but indicated it was just a little to hot. (She still ate it 2 days in a row) I didn’t win the cookoff but came in 3rd. This is a little different that what everyone was used to. The traditional chili’s won but I did get a lot of complements on it.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
That looks delicious! Definitely want to try this recipe once it starts snowing

Wasn't it Bing Crosby who demanded 3rd Billing on his films? He didn't want the credit nor the blame.

I think 3rd is a nice comfortable spot. They'll remember yours. Congrats

I love white chicken chili and will definitely give yours a try. Congrats on 3rd, but like our Throwdowns, you won because you got to enjoy it!

I wonder if roasting the chiles and onion on the grill would be good for more flavor. Unless it makes the chili too dark with charred pieces.

Looks awesome, and this is now on my list.

I imagine with the hurry you were in that you didn't put it on the smoker at all? I think I will try that as part of my process.

Looks awesome, and this is now on my list.

I imagine with the hurry you were in that you didn't put it on the smoker at all? I think I will try that as part of my process.

Looks outstanding. I have had the opposite experience with work chili cookoffs, it always seems that anything but traditional red wins. I think for us it’s because most everyone brings red, so being different seems to be what everyone likes after trying all the reds. My brother used my red recipe for his work cookoff because I have won some cookoff with it. I told him if someone brings something besides red they will most likely win. Sure enough, a guy from Louisiana brought gumbo and called it gumbo chili and won. Lol, go figure. My work cookoff is in a couple weeks, and we have created 2 Categories.. traditional and everything else. I won it last year with my red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder if roasting the chiles and onion on the grill would be good for more flavor. Unless it makes the chili too dark with charred pieces.

I'm making this tonight and I plan to char the peppers and then peel the skin off.

This was good and I expect that the leftovers might be even better tomorrow. Good chance that there was some operator error on my part. I overcooked the chicken and I was hungry so I didn't let it keep simmering to thicken it more. I tend to like pulled meat in my chili so next time I might try to make some pulled chicken, but I'll still have to grill some chicken off too because the char is good. Thanks for posting this recipe.

This was a killer inspiration. I followed the recipe for the most part (hate to review/comment on a recipe that I adapted a million ways) but I already had a bag of shredded smoked chicken, so I used that for the meat. I did add some Penzeys fajita seasoning when I added the chicken.

I also charred the peppers on the stove so I could peel the skin (hate pepper skins)

It was killer good. I devoured it that night, and the next day. When my girl was back in town, she took the rest of it to work and it was lunch for 4 days in a row. Without a doubt, I'll make this again.

Back