Grilling steaks on 26 inch weber kettle HELP

work2play2

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Sweet baby
Might sound like a dumb question. Butni usually sous vide steaks then sear in cast iron skillet. I'm camping. All I have is weber kettle and vortex. How do I go about this for best steak? Direct over coals? Use vortex? I haven't cooked a steak in so long like this. Tips on how you do this for goodness???

I build a fire on one side only, and then reverse sear.

Build your coals like this (but, you know, on fire):
IMG_20180704_075722.jpg

Cook on indirect until you get to 110 or so, then sear direct on hot until you get the color and temp you want. Don't be afraid to move back and forth between direct and indirect a few times.

Here are a couple finishing on indirect after the sear. You can see the coals on the hot side:

IMG_20180701_181636.jpg

Good luck!

Use a chimney

51893c8e8d6e86a0e0331d636712100d.jpg

Vortex and a Weber is all you need to make a fantastic steak!

Set up vortex in center and toss steaks directly over vortex for 2 minutes a side. Rest, slice and eat

There are a lot of different ways to get a really great steak. The only limit is the ingenuity and skill of the grill-meister.

A bunch of coals pushed to one side works well for me.

Now, what are you going to use for seasonings? :twisted:

I'll give you grandfathers secret recipe:

1 gallon of lighter fluid
1 gallon of water (for when the flames get too high)
Light fire and get flames soaring
Put steaks on grill

If flames get too low, more lighter fluid
if flames get too high, add water

(there is a balancing act, art form really, you'll have to go by feel)

When steaks are properly charred (they'll clank on the plate and leave soot all over the plate) they're done, cover in Heinz Steak Sauce (or other sauce if you prefer)

Depends on how thick your steaks are. If they are nice and fat I go with the reverse sear. Keep them indirect (with a chunk of wood on the coals) until they hit 105 to 110 then sear them over direct coals for a couple of min per side. If they are thin wally world steaks direct heat for a couple of min per side.

Camping with a 26" kettle.......I like the way you roll. :-D

You can go indirect with the Vortex. Just put the steaks on the edge (put a chunk or two of your favorite smoke wood over the vortex) and keep rotating them until they hit about 110 IT.

Then - right on top of the Vortex for a good sear.

Last edited:
Chezmatt's method is how I always cook my steak, but I do a quick 60 second sear first to each side and then do indirect until I hit the internal temp desired.

Back