Ahi Tuna sauce recipes?

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I got 2 10oz Ahi Tuna Steaks at home that I want to cook up for dinner tonight. I was thinking about rubbing them with coarse pepper, sea salt, granulated garlic and a hint of cayenne. Then I was thinking about pan searing them quickly on all sides leaving the middle almost cold. Now I have eaten this before at Outback Steakhouse and they serve it with some dipping sauces that are out of this world but after surfing the net I was unable to find anything resembling them. So I turn to the brethren for some sort of delicious dipping sauces for the tuna. Worse case scenario I'll eat it plain or with a hint of soy sauce or a spicy mayo, but id love to know a good recipe for the future.

Any ideas?

i usually coat mine in soy sauce and roll in sesame seeds and sear hot and fast for about 60 seconds on each side and eat it with soy sauce. i tend to like things simplistic though.....

012-2.jpg

I make a reduction of roughly equal parts of soy, mirin, and balsamic vinegar, with wasabi paste on the side

Wife makes a tarter sauce she wont tell me what's in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 113
Marinate in soy, coat with sesame seeds. Use you charcoal lighter chute as a blast furnace; add about 2 inches of coals, put a grate on top, then grill about 30 seconds per side or edge.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks
1/2 cup sesame seeds
wasabi paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions

1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, honey and sesame oil. Divide into two equal parts. Stir the rice vinegar into one part and set aside as a dipping sauce.
  2. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate. Coat the tuna steaks with the remaining soy sauce mixture, then press into the sesame seeds to coat.
  3. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place steaks in the pan, and sear for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the dipping sauce and wasabi paste.
This is a recipe I've used before... got it at allrecipes.com...
VERY good stuff!

Do you need the Mirin or will it be off without it? That's the only thing I don't have.

Do you need the Mirin or will it be off without it? That's the only thing I don't have.

Mirin is a sweet Japanese wine, if you have any sweet white wine you could use that, or some white wine and add some sugar or honey.

I've used the chimney method for ahi also, works great.

i had to go out and get a piece of tuna because of this thread.....

We are a friend that is an executive Chef with a big name "Fancy" seafood restaurant and they serve a sauce that is 1/2 Sriracha Chili Sauce and 1/2 Real Sour Cream.......Really pretty good on just about anything. I still like Soy.

Oh man now I have to go and get some Ahi, this is going to be an expensive weekend.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks
1/2 cup sesame seeds
wasabi paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions

1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, honey and sesame oil. Divide into two equal parts. Stir the rice vinegar into one part and set aside as a dipping sauce.
  2. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate. Coat the tuna steaks with the remaining soy sauce mixture, then press into the sesame seeds to coat.
  3. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place steaks in the pan, and sear for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the dipping sauce and wasabi paste.
This is a recipe I've used before... got it at allrecipes.com...
VERY good stuff!

+1 on this KR... I've used this before as well and love it. The only diff is I thow them on the grill. :thumb:

I hope you ended up enjoying your tuna tuna. What sauce(s) did you end up making to eat your tuna tuna with? How did you decide on cooking your tuna tuna? Did you take any pictures of your tuna tuna before eating it?

I ended up rubbing them in a mixture of sesame seed oil an soy sauce. Then I took a dish and sprinkled course black pepper, granulated garlic and sesame seeds. I then rolled the fish in this coating all sides. Next I took my frying pan and heated up a Tbs of butter and sesame seed oil. I set the fish in the pan and cooked it for about 30seconds per side cooking the fish on all four sides.

As for the sauce I made a simple spicy mayo using 1 Tbs mayo + 1 Tbs Srirachi hot sauce + 1 tsp sesame seed oil.

I have one piece of tuna left that I was going to eat for lunch today so I'll try and take a pic then.

All in all the meal was awesome! Next time I might add a little more salt as it was kind of bland, but I just dipped the tuna in soy and then the spicy mayo and it was fine.

Sounds really nice. Glad you enjoyed your tuna tuna.

Try this too: Seared Black Pepper-Crusted Ahi Tuna Steaks

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 4 (6-oz) Ahi steaks, about 1 1/2" thick (ask for "sear" or "sushi" grade if cooking medium rare)
  • 4 tbsp fresh coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 lemon, quartered
Preparation:
In a small bowl, combine the salt, coriander, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Lay the tuna steaks out on a plate, and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly on both sides. Then coat the tuna on both sides with the black pepper, and gently press it in so that it adheres to the surface, being careful not to smash the flesh.

Place a thick-bottomed frying pan, or cast iron skillet, on med-high heat, until very hot. Add the oil, and sear the tuna steaks for about 2 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached. Serve with fresh lemon.

I've tried it, well .. sort of.. but it turns out quite nice :icon_blush:
looking forward to perfect it next time

Back