old griddle smoker mod ?'s

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So i have a pancake griddle at home that cost bout 20$. It has a temp control gauge on it that get as low as 300*. Im thinking of using that as a heating element for a homemade electric smoker.

Any thoughts or ideas?

i want to make a homemade electric smoker but i want it to be mostly set it and forget it. Kinda like what you find in a resturaunt!

thanks guys

Seems kinda big to me. I have used a hot plate with an adjustable temp dial. I set an iron skillet on top, put the wood in and covered with aluminum foil with a bunch of holes punched in it (to keep from bursting into flame). It worked pretty darn good, but the wood needed to be replenished more often than I liked.
Definitely a ghetto solution, but effective....

Seems kinda big to me. I have used a hot plate with an adjustable temp dial. I set an iron skillet on top, put the wood in and covered with aluminum foil with a bunch of holes punched in it (to keep from bursting into flame). It worked pretty darn good, but the wood needed to be replenished more often than I liked.
Definitely a ghetto solution, but effective....

it is pretty big though. Thats true. Hmm, maybe make a BIG smoker and open my own BBQ joint! haha, i could do that.

I wouldnt mind a big electric smoker though.

Does the hot plate stay a pretty steady temp?

So i have a pancake griddle at home that cost bout 20$. It has a temp control gauge on it that get as low as 300*. Im thinking of using that as a heating element for a homemade electric smoker.

Any thoughts or ideas?

i want to make a homemade electric smoker but i want it to be mostly set it and forget it. Kinda like what you find in a resturaunt!

thanks guys

Find an old fashioned potentiometer-based light dimmer, and plug it in to that. It'll enable you to do low & slow. Do a Alton Brown flower pot smoker to go with it.

Find an old fashioned potentiometer-based light dimmer, and plug it in to that. It'll enable you to do low & slow. Do a Alton Brown flower pot smoker to go with it.

i have one of those at home actually. However, i dont have a thermometer to calibrate the dimmer to. As in, im not sure at what mark of the potentiometer is 275 and other temps.

The alton brown smoker is cool but i would want something the size of my UDS.

So a giant terracotta would be way awesome. haha

i have one of those at home actually. However, i dont have a thermometer to calibrate the dimmer to. As in, im not sure at what mark of the potentiometer is 275 and other temps.

The alton brown smoker is cool but i would want something the size of my UDS.

So a giant terracotta would be way awesome. haha

The small mountable therms are cheap at HD or Lowes.

it is pretty big though. Thats true. Hmm, maybe make a BIG smoker and open my own BBQ joint! haha, i could do that.

I wouldnt mind a big electric smoker though.

Does the hot plate stay a pretty steady temp?

You know, I really haven't measured the temp as I just use it to generate smoke for my cheese smoker.

You know, I really haven't measured the temp as I just use it to generate smoke for my cheese smoker.

hmm, ok thats cool. i think i found what i want to build. except use eletric and make it half that size

94134920-M.jpg

like using a hot plate as an electric smoker?

I see your point actually!

A hot plate is designed to have a pan or skillet on top of it. An electric griddle is not. It's not the same thing at all.

A hot plate is designed to have a pan or skillet on top of it. An electric griddle is not. It's not the same thing at all.

Opps, i meant to sa griddle. mainly i just want the element from the bottom of it.

Back