A 10lb butt in 8 hours?

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If you had to cook a 10lb pork butt in 8 hours how would you and could you do it? There is a local contest that is going to be held here in my small town, the thing is they don't know bbq so they have check in at 9am and turn in at 5:30 for butts and 5:00 for ribs.:doh: Ribs I can do but this butt may be something else. My thoughts are to open it up after check in then crank it up the smoker to about 300-325....gonna give her a test run but wanted opinions also.

I didn't put this in the comp section because you really can't call this a competition with the way it's ran and where it is. Plus no sanctioning body, it's just more for fun. If you need to move it I understand.

I'd cook at 275F for three hours then foil for two hours and let rest another 2 hours. After 2 hours in foil the internal temp should be around 205ish. SHouldn't be a problem to do in 10 hours.

How about first cutting it I to like 3 or 4 chunks? I have had good results doing this; IMHO this could be beneficial for more smoke coverage giving you more flavor, bark, smoke ring and color. Especially if your have to wrap in like a 3 to 4 hour time frame.

Well, high heat is obviously your only choice. I recently did a couple of high heat 9lb Boston Butts on a WSM which I detailed here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99787

I looked back at my BBQ log, and the total cook time was 8 hours 40 minutes, and that didn't include resting. However, I always run at around 225 for an hour or so when I do high heat before boosting temps to 300+, so you can reduce your cooking time by just going high heat right away. I also didn't foil, so if you foil you can bring the time down even more.

I'd go along with what PaddyKC said, and chunk it into 3 or 4 chunks and just run with 300+ the entire time. Throw in the foil wrap, and you shoudld have enough time for a rest period also.

thanks for the link....I like what you all are saying. Saiko thanks a ton for the step by step, I had just done my first high temp butt not to long ago, but didn't keep track of times....glad you did
Well, high heat is obviously your only choice. I recently did a couple of high heat 9lb Boston Butts on a WSM which I detailed here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99787

I looked back at my BBQ log, and the total cook time was 8 hours 40 minutes, and that didn't include resting. However, I always run at around 225 for an hour or so when I do high heat before boosting temps to 300+, so you can reduce your cooking time by just going high heat right away. I also didn't foil, so if you foil you can bring the time down even more.

I'd go along with what PaddyKC said, and chunk it into 3 or 4 chunks and just run with 300+ the entire time. Throw in the foil wrap, and you shoudld have enough time for a rest period also.

Need to check in early as possible Jerod. Thing is, that doesn't include set up of cooker and getting cooker prepped and up to temp. I think the way to go is as the others have said. Cut it up and they will benefit from extra bark and more smoke flavor. Many around here cook with electric smokers converted trom old refrigerators or pellet smokers. Electric will not get hot enough and the pellets lose smoke as you go hotter, as I've read. Wish I could do it with you!

If you don't want separate pieces you could try and butterfly it open so it isn't as thick too.

One thing I was thinking tho is checkin is at 9....you know how people are around here, I could be there at 6 getting my smoker ready....Plus with my weed burner it is up to temps in about 15 minutes, damn I love that thing....so about 15 minutes for prep and in the she will go.lol....I expect to see you later in the day tho bud!!!
Need to check in early as possible Jerod. Thing is, that doesn't include set up of cooker and getting cooker prepped and up to temp. I think the way to go is as the others have said. Cut it up and they will benefit from extra bark and more smoke flavor. Many around here cook with electric smokers converted trom old refrigerators or pellet smokers. Electric will not get hot enough and the pellets lose smoke as you go hotter, as I've read. Wish I could do it with you!

That was what I meant by saying half it or what ever I said in the first post, not very clear tho...I was thinking more like a spatchcocked chicken or something
If you don't want separate pieces you could try and butterfly it open so it isn't as thick too.

I would definitely open that baby up and keep the temp at no more than 275. Better to get it done and pulled early in the ice chest vs late and chewy

Cook it for 2.5 hours at 350. Foil and drop temps down to 300 for two hours then pull it off and set it aside until you are ready for turn ins.

I'd cook at 275F for three hours then foil for two hours and let rest another 2 hours. After 2 hours in foil the internal temp should be around 205ish. SHouldn't be a problem to do in 10 hours.

If me, I would do this very same thing, except I'd keep it on the smoker until it either hits 195 or about 1 hour to turn-in. Let it rest, in the foil. Dont pull it until about 15 minutes to turn-in, and know it's going to be HOT HOT HOT.

How about first cutting it I to like 3 or 4 chunks? I have had good results doing this; IMHO this could be beneficial for more smoke coverage giving you more flavor, bark, smoke ring and color. Especially if your have to wrap in like a 3 to 4 hour time frame.

So I check the KCBS rules and you can't do what I suggested in their contests!
I guess you'll have to check your contests rules....

Rule #10

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
parted."

You can cook it in as little as 4 hrs if you want to. Its going to be pulled pork anyway. Cut the butt in fist size chunks, smoke the chunks and then cook like carnitas.

You can cook it in as little as 4 hrs if you want to. Its going to be pulled pork anyway. Cut the butt in fist size chunks, smoke the chunks and then cook like carnitas.

Sorry Zin, that's what I thought too... Read above^^^

that's for a kcbs cook off, this is po-dunk eagles contest in Wyoming...lol.....my biggest worries now is finding a 10lb butt :doh: not real sure what these people were thinking
So I check the KCBS rules and you can't do what I suggested in their contests!
I guess you'll have to check your contests rules....

Rule #10

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
parted."

I dont know of a sanctioning body that allows the meat to be cut into smaller pieces before cooking. That would sort of defeat the purpose... Then again, this is most likely an unsanctioned cookoff, where most anything goes, but is defined by the host/promoter.

Back