Money Muscle and Butt Questions

B

BlackBeltBBQ

Hello All!

I apologize if there are other threads regarding these answers, I can't quite use the search function just yet to utilize.

That being said, I am getting ready to enter our first competition and had a few questions regarding the money muscle as it is used for competitions.

1. I saw a few videos of the money muscle being removed at a raw stage, is this a common practice to remove the money muscle from the butt and cook unattached, or are these videos simply a way to show where the actual muscle is? It is my understanding that this would violate KCBS rules (nothing enters cooker after separating)

2. Provided that it is kept on, is there a good demonstration of how to cut the money muscle, both for separating and for prepping for a turn in box? If not, are there any tips some Brethren might be willing to share?

3. I've seen a lot of turn in boxes that have the MM in medallion form along with pulled, and sometimes chunked. Would it be considered best practice to have two forms of the pork at minimum, all three, or doesn't matter as long as the box appears full to boost score?

If there are other threads that answer these I'll take links as well :D

Thanks All!

1. illegal at this time
2. slightly undercook the butt you want the MM to come from for slicing. This will make it easier to slice. Most competitors cook two butts to different ITs for this purpose.
3. only put in the box the forms of meat you know are excellent. More types of poorly cooked meat will not gain you points.

This ^^^

There is a site-specific Google search function near the bottom of the page that is available for everyone to use.

Thanks for the replies!

As far as the last point, understood, that being said if everything is awesome, what's the preferred method as far as variance goes, all three, keep it to two, or just whatever combination will look the most appealing?

It isn't so much about giving the judges different forms to eat or what looks good. By including pulled, tubes, MM, and/or bark, you are telling the judges that you understand the parts of the butt and what techniques it takes to utilize and cook well those parts.

you need to go to KCBS and read the rules.

you need to go to KCBS and read the rules.

Thanks for the advice, and I understand the importance of reading the R&R.

I have read them a few times already and reviewed again recently, just needed a point of clarification based a few things I had seen.

Thanks!

Back