Smoking a brisket today

mnickcrna

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for helping me with my first cook on the Bandera. It was a hit with the folks here. I got me charcoal basket last week and am trying it out today. I read some of the old threads on using the basket with charcoal. I went with the divider 1/3 (5 bars) with hot charcoal and 2nd divider about inch over leaving about 2/3 of the basket with unlit charcoal. It is about 40 degrees here this morning and should get up to mid 50's, which is cold for southern Spain!

It took about 45 minutes to get the smoker chamber to 225 degrees. I put the 9# brisket (mustard and rub overnight) on at 0830. So far the basket is working great. Even temps hanging around approx 220-230 in the smoke chamber according to my cheap oven thermometer I have on the rack. I put the thermometer in my house oven and it seems to match very well with the set temp of the oven. Really no way to test with boiling water, as it does not have a probe to stick in the water.

I'm preheating the oak wood on the unlit side of charcoal. It is now 1000 here and the unlit side is showing signs of starting. Most people using the 1/3, 2/3 split on the basket? I will keep you guys posted. Any additional tips on using the charcoal basket?

Awesome man! Sounds like you are chugging right along and learning your Dera's sweet spots and flaws! I bet you are making many friends with your new toy. =)

Yeah, the neighbors are coming over asking if that great smell is me smoking again! I put on a fatty and had that with my bisquits and gravy and man it was good. The charcoal basket is working great. Definetly easier than my last experience with an all wood fire. I don't have the extreme heat drops and spikes like before. I'm just adding some preheated wood every so often to keep a little "sweet blue" coming out of the smoke chamber. I'm about 6 hours into cooking and will let you know how it comes out. Has any played with different configurations with the dividers on the firebox charcoal basket to get the best long even temps?

Basket results vary widely. Especially when altitude is worked into the equation

I'm still figurung mine out too

Hey Mike! Wondered what happened to you? Sounds like you're doing fine. Let me know how the basket works out, mine should be here this week. I've always used pre-burned wood, but figure I might break out the 'Dera more often if I don't have to go to all that hassle.

Keep us up to date on your success!

The brisket turned out great. Eight hours smoking to internal temp 160 degrees, then foiled for 4 hours to 190 degrees temp, coolered and man it had a great bark and juicy! Definitely better than my first attempt at brisket. The basket worked great. I will have to play with different setting on the dividers. I tried the 1/3, 2/3 but had to vent the heat by opening the firebox lid when the 2/3 section got hot for a while. I had much fewer drops and spikes in my temp during the 12 hour cook than I did on my first attemp with an all wood fire. I also did some pork chops for a few hours and they were really good as well. Some friends are planning a big Super Bowl party next weekend and asked me if I could smoke some meat for it. I will have to make another post and ask for advice on what all I could try to cookifor the party. Thanks again for everyones help, you are making this a much easier and fun learning experience.

All you farkers talking about cooking briskets lately is starting to piss me off. I'm doing one for superbowl.

mnickcrna said:
The brisket turned out great. Eight hours smoking to internal temp 160 degrees, then foiled for 4 hours to 190 degrees temp, coolered and man it had a great bark and juicy! Definitely better than my first attempt at brisket. The basket worked great. I will have to play with different setting on the dividers. I tried the 1/3, 2/3 but had to vent the heat by opening the firebox lid when the 2/3 section got hot for a while. I had much fewer drops and spikes in my temp during the 12 hour cook than I did on my first attemp with an all wood fire. I also did some pork chops for a few hours and they were really good as well. Some friends are planning a big Super Bowl party next weekend and asked me if I could smoke some meat for it. I will have to make another post and ask for advice on what all I could try to cookifor the party. Thanks again for everyones help, you are making this a much easier and fun learning experience.

mike.. did you have the firebox damper completely shut? Need to do that to stop the coals from getting to excited.

Also, is your divider one single piece or a dual with an airspace? If its a single, have a second one made up and section into 3, that way, the 3rd section will ignite slower and you will have less fuel burning at once. If its a single with an airspace, move the coals away from the plate so they dont ignite as fast and you will have less fuel burning in the first chamber when the second finally takes off.

Spuerbowl sunday favorites here are ABT's (turds), Pulled pork sammiches, Smoked wings and pork tenderloin sliced into medalions..

Also, check out the forums and gallery for my Smoked cheese bread.. that always gets moans from the guests.

mnickcrna said:

since you're in spain, I suggest you try smoking some cabrito:
http://www.jackmauldin.com/cooking_with_goat.htm

Here's the perfect match for the cabrito! :twisted:

Just kidding guys!

Actually, I prefer the Bobcat model with the front loader - though this model is easier to manuever -- basically digs a big post hole - drop in the goat, lamb, mutton, or other UI excuse for BBQ! :D

Actually, Dave, I was pretty sure that would "get your goat" (pun intended). I'm guessing part of your ongoing issue with the subject is that you've probably never tried the real thing; that requires a very young animal. And that's not as easy to obtain as old goat. Anyway, it seems Spain would be a good place to find it. Just a thought for mnickcrna to consider and not intended to start a flame war with you.

After 3 years in Italy, 11 years in Texas, etc. I've had plenty of opportunity -- I've eaten cabrito and lamb and mutton that were ok - but not something I would ever go out of my way to cook or order. I've had access to lamb as young and small as a housecat - so yeah, I know all about young lamb.

Maybe it's an aquired taste - most of what I've had blew chunks and I don't mean Phil's neighbor's dog! :twisted:

No flames, just fact! Enjoy it youself - but please don't think you'll ever convince me that I'll like it. Nope, nope, nope! It stinks and tastes even worse!

Every one in the country knows that sheep are NOT used for BBQing.

Wha...why did'nt some tell me that years ago!?! I sure am glad I told them it was mutton.

Back