Kamander > Weber

If you have a new-ish weber kettle, and you like it- is there enough positive differences to make a swap to a Kamander?

I smoke more than I grill- my kettle is basically new. I like the idea of a Kamodo-lite cooker- but I don't need to growing my family of cookers.

IF it would totally replace my 22.5 silver- I have to look into it. (the idea that it might not last as long would only be important to my kids :grin: )

I'll have to keep the Kamander in mind if one of my kettles ever wears out. And I don't buy a 26" kettle.

I like kettles but I like the Kamander way better than a kettle. I'm throwing away one kettle this week and giving away the other one so I'll lb down to two cookers uds and Kamander.

Kamander seals better than kettle
Uses less charcoal and does not need the minion method, is more sturdy,

For the sale price of $150 I don't think there exists a better deal in smokery.

At $350 it's still a damn fine cooker and works perfectly as a grill or smoker with no compromises

I had the Acorn King Kooker or whatever for about 5 years, the menards red version. I used it as my primary cooker for first year or two, but eventually gravitated back towards the Kettle. On the Kamado, you don't have room to do 2 zone cooking which I use all the time. The Kamado Joe has their divide and conquer system I think would help, but than you're back to 1k for a cooker.

My weber is my most used grill. I use my good one a lot too, but I find weber easier to use for direct grilling. The good one can do it, and I do it on there, just not as well as the weber. Than again, I've cooked on a weber for 20+ years so I know better how to set up and accomplish what I want to accomplish, so could be biased

When it's all said and done, if I could only have one cooker (whats the fun in that) it would be a weber charcoal grill (preferably 26 inch)

If you have a new-ish weber kettle, and you like it- is there enough positive differences to make a swap to a Kamander?

I smoke more than I grill- my kettle is basically new. I like the idea of a Kamodo-lite cooker- but I don't need to growing my family of cookers.

IF it would totally replace my 22.5 silver- I have to look into it. (the idea that it might not last as long would only be important to my kids :grin: )

Smoking is Easier. And could run Longer Smokes. And more clearance between coals and food and it has a removable deflector plate/water pan.

Smoking is Easier. And could run Longer Smokes. And more clearance between coals and food and it has a removable deflector plate/water pan.

I like smoking on my kamado over the weber, just about everything else I liked better on weber

like most things in life, personal preference

I think I'd pick one up at $150, I should hit up Aldis this weekend

I know people smoke with a kettle, but I think they're terrible smokers. GREAT for grilling, but for true long low and slow cooks they're not optimal for a variety of reasons.

The Weber Smokey Mountain smoker on the other hand, is a fantastic smoker. Sucks for grilling tho. But if you've got space for both, that's the way to go IMO!

I had a Big Green Egg (I'm not the original owner, so no warranty), when it cracked instead of replacing the base I got a 22" Kettle and an 18" WSM. Super happy with that decision. Way more versatile, and waaaaaay more cooking space.

I know people smoke with a kettle, but I think they're terrible smokers. GREAT for grilling, but for true long low and slow cooks they're not optimal for a variety of reasons.

The Weber Smokey Mountain smoker on the other hand, is a fantastic smoker. Sucks for grilling tho. But if you've got space for both, that's the way to go IMO!

I had a Big Green Egg (I'm not the original owner, so no warranty), when it cracked instead of replacing the base I got a 22" Kettle and an 18" WSM. Super happy with that decision. Way more versatile, and waaaaaay more cooking space.

I have a 18.5" Kettle I've smoked with for 2 years before getting my WSM22. Only reason I upgraded to a WSM is for added space. I've smoked briskets, turkey legs, ribs, and even a 12lb turkey in my 18.5" kettle (turkey took some ingenuity to fit). While it's not the perfect smoker, it's great if someone enjoys grilling and wants to try their hand at smoking without spend extra money on a separate unit. On the other hand, having both is even better :mrgreen:

Same conclusion I came to after 8.5 years with a Primo XL. But I went the way of the devil...pellet pooper + charcoal grill and couldn't be happier!

Agree with the kettle and BGE as smokers. The kettle is a great grill, and that's just it.

The BGE is a jack of all trades - great for hot and fast, and great for lower temp, long duration indirect cooking with the plate setter. As a smoker, it's lacking. I just never got the depth of smoke I was looking for.

This is why I bought my Assassin. All it does is smoke.....and quite well. I still have my BGE and kettle and they are used frequently...just not as smokers.

I’ve smoked Plenty on my Kettle (not Hard and got Good results) but the increased distance between coals and food grate and the removable diverted pan make it Easier on the Kamander.
And I really like the intake control on the table. The Hinged Lid is Nice too........

Stopped by 2 Aldis on the way home from Work - No Kamanders to be found........

I don't know anything about the new PBS or any of the other home made cookers, but I used a WSM for several years and got some really fine results out of it.

And also, thanks for the comment about no mention of pellets in this post.

Back