Is this not the weirdest idea?

jermoQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Having a talk with someone today and they said their dad used to make carp burgers. That sounds great! I love fish. Except she says, he would mix up carp meat with ground beef....:twitch::twitch::crazy::hand::fear:. Now first, I will clarify that if someone served one to me, I would be willing to eat it, because I like both meats. However, that is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard of doing to a burger. Anybody had one of those to testify?

My Grandfather had a carp recipe

Nail carp to a board
Pour 1 C of whine over the board
Pour 2 oz whisky over the board
salt and pepper
Twist of lemon juice

Remove carp from board and throw away

Eat the board.

:twitch::twitch::crazy::hand::fear:I think your emoji's said it all...

I've heard of carp patties. They say you had to grind it to get all of the bones ground up to make it edible. No mention of the beef, though. Also said it was an "acquired" taste (which to me means "nasty")... :wacko:

We used to eat carp patties. It was not that bad. Cleaning them was a pain and they are terribly bloody fish. I am pretty certain if you found them to be really nasty they were not cleaned and bled properly.

My own food palette is so pedestrian that I hardly qualify to say anything about food, much less someone else's suggestion about a dish. I usually just read about it, and then move on. But carp? I dunno about eatin' carp. I suppose it depends on where you come from, where the carp comes from, and how hungry you are. I am born and raised in the Northwest so carp isn't eating food up there. And most of the time, I'm not hungry enough to even think of eating a carp.

My own limitations and my loss if its good eats.

The only person that could make that recipe work is Cowgirl. Anyone else....nah.

lol Thanks Ron!

An elderly friend of mine was a licensed trapper. He pretty much lived off the land. Had a big garden and ate everything he hunted and trapped.
One of his specialties was canned carp. I loved the stuff! lol
I'd stop by for a visit, he'd bring out a jar and a sleeve of saltine crackers. We'd visit, snack and wash it down with homemade brew. lol
He would bow hunt the carp, bring them home, clean em and pressure can them.
Some were canned with a mustard sauce, some with a tomato mixture.
The canning process tenderizes or melts the bones much like canned salmon.

He was an interesting fellow and I learned a lot from him before he passed. Unfortunately his carp recipes died with him....

lol Thanks Ron!

An elderly friend of mine was a licensed trapper. He pretty much lived off the land. Had a big garden and ate everything he hunted and trapped.
One of his specialties was canned carp. I loved the stuff! lol
I'd stop by for a visit, he'd bring out a jar and a sleeve of saltine crackers. We'd visit, snack and wash it down with homemade brew. lol
He would bow hunt the carp, bring them home, clean em and pressure can them.
Some were canned with a mustard sauce, some with a tomato mixture.
The canning process tenderizes or melts the bones much like canned salmon.

He was an interesting fellow and I learned a lot from him before he passed. Unfortunately his carp recipes died with him....

It is a shame that a lot of the old recipes have gone,like your friend.The mustard seasoned carp sounds intriguing to me.I know I love mustard sardines and saltines.

"Really! I didn't realize that was was gefilte fish was....."

"Better" gefilte fish (usually eaten around passover by eastern europeans, of which I am a descendant) is made with white fish. And equally boney and difficult fish to cook.

I'll eat gefilte once a year, thats all. Personally I would not know if I'm eating the carp or whitefish, both smell like and taste like ( I can only imagine) cat food.

I dont eat fish
I have had Carp twice, once marinated then grilled, It was like a Red meat, stunning
Once by my Stepmother,treated similiar, Again lovely.
Fish was freshwater soaked overnight then bled, both by Phillipino's
We catch a lot here and its throwaway fish, bet most here who bag it as a food have never tasted it.
My Argentinian neighbourv makes Fish Balls out of them, never tried it that way

There is a commercial fisherman just across the border bridge in Prarie DuChein WI that sells all sort of smoked fish and cheese curds. Have had his smoked carp and it's a little heavy smoked for my likeing but good at any rate.
After a stop there it's on to Starks Sports Shop for money saving libation stock and then across the street to Pete's hamburgers for a couple "gut bombs" followed by a quick run to the Winnesheick tavern for a drink and watch the rookies launch boats into the mighty Mississippi.
A good day always.
Ed

I'm not a carp expert by any means, but I do know that there are a lot of different carp sub-species. Some are better than others for eating.
The Asian big head carp that are invading the waterways of the Midwest are terribly bloody and greasy. I tried some that a friend smoked once. Once. It was terrible.
Buffalo, if prepared correctly, is actually very good.
The fish are served more or less whole, minus the head and entrails, scored across the body, battered and deep fried very well done to cook the small bones to the point of being edible. Only the ribs and spine remain inedible.
It used to be a Friday night bar staple around here, but most of the small dive bars have either stopped serving food or closed completely.
30 or 40 years ago, it was kind of a tradition, hit Bar X one week for Buffalo, Bar Y the next week for wings, Bar Z the following for livers and gizzards.
Ahhh, Good Times!

Back