Tortilla Help

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents - I'm in search of the BEST tortilla out there.

I traveled to Houston a few weeks ago and it made me realize how much i dislike the thick "bready" tortillas you find back here in Iowa. I really crave the thin flour tortillas.

Any suggestions?

It's hard to get good tortillas, even here in Texas. The best ones are the ones I make myself. Not hard to do, just a few ingredients and they keep in the fridge very well.
I started out with this recipe, but later changed it to using shortening instead of oil. Makes for a flaky tortilla
HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 cup warm water

Combine all ingredients until it forms a dough. Roll into a big ball and take about 1"-2" pieces off. Pat flat with your hands or use a rolling pin. Put on a griddle on the stove and let the sides cook until there are lil brown specks.

I have been getting raw tortillas from Walmart. Tortilla Land brand in the refrigerated section. Best store bought torts I have ever had, if you have them in your area I think you'll be happy

All you need is a tortilla press and some masa harina. I use 55 grams of dough to make a nice thin seven inch tortilla. Cook for 30 seconds per side on a hot griddle. They are soft and delicious, better than any from the market.

El Milagro. From the south side of Chicago, good stuff! In the Chicago area they are one of the cheapest brands and also one of the best brands.

Wal Mart? Homemade? Really???? Go to the closest Mexican SuperMarcado and like La Fiesta and buy warm flour or corn tortillas. Best you can get.

Once you learn to make your own, you will NEVER buy store bought again. Especially from Walmart. ;)

When we were in Houston we ate at a place called Lupe's and I loved their tortillas.

For corn tortillas I use a press and masa harina. For flour tortillas I make em like this....

I mix 2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix well then add
1 Tablespoon of lard (or shortening)
Mix well then add
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of warm water
Mix and form into ball, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Cook on hot griddle or cast iron skillet. Store them in a plastic baggie til all are cooked so they remain pliable.

Here's a link that shows how I make them..
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2012/10/cowgirl-chili-and-hot-tortillas.html

Good luck! They are really tasty while hot and slathered with butter.

my $0.02: switch to corn tortillas. 90% of the tortillas consumed in Mexico are corn because they compliment food better. buy small packages of most freshly made (check "best by" date)

some good brands: El Milagro, Banderita, Marquez and Guerrero if there isnt a tortilleria near you

I too like the ones in the freezer section of the grocery store. Taste like restaurant style once you warm them on the griddle.

I use masa because I like the corn tortillas a lot better. I won't put up a recipe b/c there are already some good ones here (and all over the internet..it's super easy), but....you need a good tortilla press (or make your own, super easy) and you must use lard!

If you are lucky, you can find really good lard at your farmers' market if someone is raising hogs. Makes a huge difference in taste and texture.

Back