**Another "First Cook on the MINI 1427 UDS" w/pron**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I fired my MINI 1427 UDS up today! Nothing fancy, just wanted to see how it felt and what kind of control it had. It did not disappoint! 10 chicken thighs-no trimming, John Henrys Garlic Nedra D's Hickory rub, @ 2/3 of a Weber chimney's worth of Kingsford and a chunk of Pecan.

IMG_0411.jpg

No handles on the grate-so the thirdhand or BGE grid lifter are your friends.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

Using the flat drum lid

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Turned to crisp the skin

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

I left the lid off for a few minutes to crank the temps up, and took some Rib Tips I had started on my Redrum that were poking along with a couple Picnics and moved them to the MINI to crispy up a bit. Switched to the Smokey Joe lid.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Closed the Weber vent and the intake vent and snuffed the coals for later-barely put a dent in them!

IMG_0430.jpg

Cruises along just like my others, and I can tell its a winner!

Take a look at Moocows Mini-it is one cool machine!

Swamp, is that a Fifteen Gallon Drum? OutStanding!!!!

It's soooo cute! :p good lookin' bird there bro...how was the skin?

that is outstanding!
hey, what's with the thirdhand grip mod ?

are the red thirdhands faster than the cold steel ones?
jon

Wow. That is too cool. As much as I like my Webers, I'm thinking I might venture into the UDS world with a mini...

Hmmm...my grate lifter is bare metal as well...I'm thinkin' it's a Swamprb mod...but he should have used GREEN for the handle...:p

man I went to see shane's mini post, and totally forgot to say thanks for posting that.

thanks, for showing how that puppy works, good eats! where do you get little UDS's at?

**Tri-Tip Steaks on the MINI**

Wife brought home some Tri-Tip Steaks, she planned to use the Foodsaver Marinator and grill them on her Genesis Silver C! I'm not gonna argue over that-but I was using the marinator for tomorrows dinner. So, I fire up the MINI and in 10 minutes it is throwing down a good oak smoke and I circled the grate with 2 rubbed with Bigmistas and 2 with my Santa Maria rub.

IMG_0436_1.jpg

After @15 minutes of smoke, I moved them close to the center of the grate and left the lid off to grill them. Pulled 135-140* @ 35 minutes total and I cant' wait to cook a Tri-Tip Roast on this! These were moist, had that great drum flavor and just rocked!

IMG_0437_1.jpg

IMG_0441_1.jpg

Looks great! :p Which rub did you prefer? Coffee today?

John

I SO regret not taking that mini drum I was offered when I was looking around for my drum. I just didn't think it would work. That little drum looks too sweet. Maybe I can still score one. Nice!!

I have never wanted a UDS.

Until NOW!

That little thing is SWEET! Great looking bird too!

Back