Electrical Question for comps

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm about to complete the registration paperwork for W'Loo and Blues Too. Their electrical form has me boggled as I'm pretty ignorant with in electrical field.

Here's what the electrical form says:

AVAILABILITY AND REQUIREMENTS FOR LINCOLN PARK:
- 120V – 20 AMP Electricity per outlet
- 220V – 50 AMP 4 wire plugs
·Nothing is available for 30 AMP RV plugs, unless you have an adapter from a 220V – 50 AMP that changes over to a 120V – 30 AMP RV plug
·Use 220V cords, if possible, to RV’s for the best trouble-free connection.
·You must provide your own 100 ft extension cords. Twelve (12) gauge wire is required on all extension cords.
·One electrical cord for each appliance is required (example 1 cord per roaster, refrigerator, etc.) Power strips should NOT be used.
·Electrical hook-ups will be allowed as available, but there are a limited number. Hook-ups will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

OK, is 220 volt 50 amp OK for me? My electrical is set up for a standard 30 amp RV, everything is 120 volt. I don't want to fry anything.

I do have a 50 amp to 30 amp plug adapter, but I noticed at the St. Joe comp that their 50 amp outlet was different then my plug and I was told theirs a reason for that (I think due to different voltage - thus keeping us knowledgeable from frying our stuff/selves). I have no idea if it changes the voltage (I doubt it as it's just an adapter with different male and female ends).

The form also says that the fee is for total electrical needs and asks how many outlets each user needs - so I can get multiple outlets of either 120V 20 amp or 220V 50 amp. Unfortunately, I don't think I can run my A/C off a 20 amp and get cold air, even if it is the only thing running off that outlet.

Please help the electrical ignorant (basically the question is about voltage at the 50 amps).

thanks

BTW, we'll need juice to run the CS Whole Hog, guru, lights, electric knife and refridge. A/C would be a huge plus as this is on concrete in July without much shade (if any).

Those of you who cooked there last year - please chime in

I can run my RV AC off a 20 amp service. If you are also running other things like lights and a fridge, you might have some troubles...

I've tried running my A/C off 20 amp from my driveway - nothing but air temp air comes out. Guess mine sucks more juice to get the cold stuff.

Bobby, I am running my generator in Waterloo. Remember in Christmas Vacation all the plugs he had in one outlet for his lights? Triple that and that is what the box was like. On our side everyone on that street went to one box.

I will also say the way they put you in there, makes it a little difficult to get out once parked. I hope they put all us going to LaPorte on one side. We headed down there last year after brisket turn in, dropped off the trailer and ran back up for awards.

LaPorte was setup better.

Thanks Rod.

She told me the earlier I get in the app, the better chance of getting the set up as needed. But I agree with you. I don't care if I'm in the middle of a row as long as the next few people down the row are going to LPC too so we can all get out quickly.

Maybe we should look into renting a generator that will handle our needs - we don't need electrical going out overnight stopping the pellet pooper.

Hey Bobby
Sometimes contest organizers do not realize that RVer have a special 50 amp plug for their units. I have not been to St. Joe so I am not sure what they have. I would ask them what the 50 amp plug looks like and campaer it to yours. The normal 50 amp plug has three flat spades all facing the same way in a triangle and one round one. The round would be at the top (it, with the others, would form a square. If your plug is round with all the spades forming a circle and you have to twist it to lock it in place. Then you have a marine style twist lock, that you can throw away because you will not find many of them at contests. I would NOT use the 20 amp. I have been up there many times and what Buster Dog said it true. We kept resetting breakers all weekend long pluged into a 20 amp and that was not even using air. If you can find one get the 50 amp to 30 amp "Y" it seperates 50 amp 220 volts to two 30 amp 110. Then you can plug in the trailer and using a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter have plenty of juice to run extra stuff that you have outside. If you go with a generator make sure you get a surge protector. Ray told me that is the number one cause of faileures in pellet cookers.

Big Mike
P.S. I can look at what you have if you want in Marshalltown (or State Center if you are going there)

I can't imagine your going to need 50amp. 30 amp is sufficent to run your AC and 20amp will run it too but make sure your not on a long extension cord.

Looks like your best bet would be to find a generator.

Mike, I'll be in M'Town.

I have one of these
24498.jpg

But I don't think that cuts the volts to 120.

Anyone --- Bueller?

AVAILABILITY AND REQUIREMENTS FOR LINCOLN PARK:
- 120V – 20 AMP Electricity per outlet
- 220V – 50 AMP 4 wire plugs
3 wire plug is the key. You ever plug a 110 into a 4 wire plug and pretty well everything connected will fry. Put a 30 amp plug on my barn and had it done by the electrican. Kid that did it didn't read the diagram. Told me to plug in and then told me I used the wrong cord. His boss said here's my insurance info. We'll pay everything. - inverter, microwave, tv, and some other small stuff. Now the whole system didn't go because the box tripped every breaker and stopped some.

So you get a 110 - 20. I'd suggest bringing a quiet generator.

With so many teams now having 30 amp trailers, would it be worth while for KCBS mandating 30 amp service for sanctioning or is it best left to the organizers to learn what their teams need/want?

With so many teams now having 30 amp trailers, would it be worth while for KCBS mandating 30 amp service for sanctioning or is it best left to the organizers to learn what their teams need/want?
Now that's funny. There are still contests that do not supply power and only allow "quiet" generators.

Now that's funny. There are still contests that do not supply power and only allow "quiet" generators.

At my contest this year, we supplied power to 36 teams but only five wanted 30 amp power. the rest were fine with the 20 amp.

OK, checked out one site when I had a minute and now I THINK that adapter might actually change the voltage from 220 to 120. If I'm reading it correctly, since the 50 amp has 4 connectors and the 30 amp only has 3 buy not connecting the 1 connector, it splits the voltage in half.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/50-to-30-amp-adapter.html

But since I really don't have a clue, I'll wait for one of our resident electricians to chime in and let us if this is accurate or not.

I doubt it would ever happen. It is very difficult to find event venues that will allow a BBQ contests, let alone ones will will have 30 Amp connections for RV's. Some contests here in the North East do not have the capacity for allowing a RV anywhere near your site. All you get is a 20 x 20 site and need to park your truck or RV a ways away from the contest area. There are a few contests out there where you are lucky to have 20 amps available.

OK, let's all agree that sometime of electrical should at least be provided. Commercial generators are not that hard to come by. plus it's a sponsorship opportunity.

BTW, why did I hijack my own thread?

You should just need one leg of the 220 to get to get to 110. should be easy to rig something up with stuff from home depot.

Funny...I was just doing the same thing and was equally confused. I think I still am. Maybe I will just bring my generator and forget about it...the only problem is its not honda quiet...its not loud either but I don't know. How close together are the teams in Waterloo?

If we were also going to be cooking LaPorte, were we supposed to ask for a special placement? I'm thinking I will be bringing my big Honda 6500 for this contest... So if the Bookdoggle boys need any electric... I hear they keep Templeton... :icon_shy

Waterloo sets up around a city block (which is a park). So all teams are on the street and facing in towards the inner part of the block. But teams are right on top of each other with this set-up...

Now that I've read that page
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/50-to-30-amp-adapter.html
I honestly think this converter is all we need to get down to 120 volts.
50-amp-adapter.jpg

They're like $12-15 at WalMart.

Scotty, if you want to request a spot by us - cool. That would be a great back up source and I'm sure we can have a bottle of Templeton handy. Or if you're saying your generator is plenty to plan on using for our power too - even better. Just let me know - I need to dig my entry out of our work mail as I dropped it in the outgoing mail earlier today.

The W'Loo contact didn't really seem to understand the importance of getting out fast for us teams cooking LaPorte. She said their were no problems last year. Which might be true, but I'm sure everyone would understand the priority of letting the two cook teams out first if it was suggested to the other teams or strategically placing us.

I just talked to Cindy Wells. She said if you note on your app that you are going to LaPorte she will try to get all of us going together. First come first server. Also note if you have a generator. She cant guarantee anything but it's a start.

Back