Tri-Tip Pr0n

Rodney

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Tonight I cooked my first non-marinated tri-tip roasts. They were Choice Certified Black Angus cuts from Bel Air market, and I paid way too much money for them, but they did have very good marbling (as you can see in the photos). I just put sea salt, pepper and a touch of garlic powder on them. They turned out really good! I cooked them in my UDS at about 325 over lump and pecan chips until the thickest one was at 140 or so, let them rest while I fired up a chimney of coals for the grill, and then seared them on the grill. They turned out medium rare and medium. They then rested, wrapped in foil, a towel and an ice chest, for about an hour and a half while the other food was cooked and the guests showed up. They were still piping hot when I took them out to slice them! The second one didn't come out until 3 hours after I put it in the ice chest, and it was still at least 125.

And here's the pr0n... medium rare roast first:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And here's the one I cooked to medium. I sliced it REALLY thin, and it was VERY TASTY! I almost think I liked it more than the first one...
picture.php

picture.php

Oh, one more thing: I just got my blood drawn and my cholesterol, etc. look good, so I don't have to cut back on this stuff quite yet. :thumb:

-Rodney

That's what I am talking about! Awesome job! You don't need no stinking marinated tri-tips!:cool::hungry:

I wish I was allowed to cook mine like that. My wife insists on well done then complains that it's tuff. Nice job!

Hey guys-

Oh, one more thing: I just got my blood drawn and my cholesterol, etc. look good, so I don't have to cut back on this stuff quite yet. :thumb:

-Rodney

Don't worry, they have pills to take if it does! Roasts looked great.

Looks tender and juicy. Just the way it's supposed to be. Good job.

Thanks again, you guys.

I think I'm going to always try to get the tri-tip done at least an hour and a half early, so it can sit in the ice chest wrapped in foil and rest. I really liked how evenly cooked it turned out. Plus, it'll reduce the stress of getting side dishes, grilled veggies, etc. done at the same time as I'm trying to make good tri-tip!

Nicely done Rodney, that medium rare one looks really good. Too bad there wasn't a tri-tip throwdown ready.

Nicely done Rodney, that medium rare one looks really good. Too bad there wasn't a tri-tip throwdown ready.

I'll try to get my Canon G9 repaired before the next one comes up. :twisted: This iPhone 3GS will only take me so far. Let's just say a big flashlight with a paper towel over the lens makes a decent diffused light source to augment the fluorescents in my kitchen. :wink:

Looks great! I usually marinate my tri-tip, but now I'm inspired!

Thanks!

When I say non-marinated, I'm comparing it to the marinated ones from Costco that are full of tenderizers, salt and flavors. They're really good, but they're a totally different animal. Flavor-wise, it's almost like comparing a pork chop to a slice of ham. :wink: I may try a marinade next time, but it'd be a fairly light, simple one that wouldn't radically change the meat like Costco's does.

Back