How long does it take to bring your smoker up to temp 270° or above.

1 hour or a little more for 275 and TBS on the LSG vertical offset with help from the gas assist starter.

I use a weed burner in my back woods, I'm ready to cook in under 30 mins, I use it to heat the cabinet and the coal box , using lump

Most of my smoking is done in my PBC. I'm at 275° (the temp I cook at) in 10-15 min max once the lit coals are dumped in....If you count the time to get the chimney of coals going that's about another 10-15 min.

From my perspective, the question is flawed. I don't care about how long it takes to reach a specific temp, I am only worried that it is ready before I am ready to cook. I generally start the fire in the Lang offset an hour plus before I plan to put meat on it. I use that time to get any meat out of the fridge and let the surface warm up a bit, get tools and equipment ready, and other prep items. I also am not interested in just pit temp, more importantly I want an established fire and bed of coals. When first putting meat in, I don't care if the smoker is 50 degrees to hot or too cold, there is plenty of time to correct that before the pork butt notices.

m-fine, it was a fairly simple question. Most who answered seemed to view it as a simple question. Pure and simple I did not ask what your perspective was, I simply asked " how long does it take to bring your smoker up to temp 270° or above". Yes I know some prep their food while bringing their pit up to temp, sometimes +/- 50° and they have time to correct before the pork butt notices.
As I said before it was a very simple question.:doh::doh:

Waiting on the pit to warm is a good thing. My 1/4 inch steel offset takes 3 sticks one chimney of lump and ready in about two beers time.

My primo pit is ready in a beer and a half. IMO if time is a problem you should have started earlier. Relax and enjoy!

15 minutes or less from fire till the meat goes on. Insulated vertical cabinet gravity fed stick burner.

m-fine, it was a fairly simple question. Most who answered seemed to view it as a simple question. Pure and simple I did not ask what your perspective was, I simply asked " how long does it take to bring your smoker up to temp 270° or above". Yes I know some prep their food while bringing their pit up to temp, sometimes +/- 50° and they have time to correct before the pork butt notices.
As I said before it was a very simple question.:doh::doh:

Lighten up Francis. Next time I want to smoke at 270, I will get it hot as fast as I can and time it with a stop watch for you. I have no idea why that simple number would be relevant or useful to you, but I aim to please.

The O/U takes about 45 min to pass 270* I load it up when the smoke is clean around 200*

What's really important is getting the fire with a hot bed of coals and burning clean. I light a chimney of charcoal give it ~30 minutes to get really hot, dump it in the firebox and add wood. It takes about an hour total time from the time I light the chimney to get a clean burning fire with a hot bed of coals. Once the fire is ready the cook chamber is easily up to 275F.

Anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on how much time I have and the outside temp.
If using a weed burner and guru with fan of just a handheld propane torch.
I usually plan for 1 1/2 hours, and use the time to prep the cook.
It's very relaxing and enjoyable, I don't mind the time.

Waiting on the pit to warm is a good thing. My 1/4 inch steel offset takes 3 sticks one chimney of lump and ready in about two beers time.

My primo pit is ready in a beer and a half. IMO if time is a problem you should have started earlier. Relax and enjoy!

I like this method of time keeping.

My UDS takes about 20 minutes. My old off-set took about an hour. I haven't used my new off-set yet. I'm guessing it will be the same.

I just bought a weedburner so I guess I'll get there sooner now warming the inside.
Be very careful with the weed burner in that 270. I just looked and they are made with 16 gage metal. If your weed burner is anything like mine and you hit the afterburner switch you will warp that metal in just a couple seconds. I run my weed burner on about 1/4 throttle and keep it moving.

As soon as I saw your post title, I guessed you might have a 270 smoker. Maybe because you picked 270 as your target temp but also because having a 270 Standard myself, I knew that they are a bit slow to come up to temp. Starting with a lit chimney full of lump and keeping the top cap off and the rear vent all the way open helps. I am going to take a wild guess that you start with a rather large water pan (one that covers most of the cabinet floor) and that you fill it most of the way up with cold water. If you do, that will also keep your heat-up time to close to an hour. I don't see this as much of a drawback, particularly after seeing the average times of others with different smokers.

Back