Draper Valley Farms Chicken

bingo1912

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am curious as to what brand of chicken people are using for comps. I haven't gone down that road,,, yet. But I have noticed a significant difference between "Southern grown" and the local Draper valley, the latter being far superior to any other I have tried.
I recently bought a 6.5 lb Draper Valley roasting hen and couldn't believe how much more flavor it had than my usual cheapo chicken.
Are there comparable products down south? Is Lynden chicken available there? I
(From Lynden Washington)
(Draper Valley Farms)

My favorite is 2 lb. Tyson birds in a 2 pack. Cut them up myself. No. 2 choice is Smart Chicken.

I used smart chicken a good part of the year, then did a test cook against hy-vee brand country pride, side by side everyone liked the cheapo chicken :doh:.
Not that I do good in chicken though

i've done extensive chicken testing.

perdue's "all natural" wins every time in taste, tenderness, and moisture.

for comps, that is.

otherwise, it's hard to beat a good bell and evans.

We always used Smart chicken this year...tried to find family packs (8 thighs) at least 3.5lbs - which wasn't always easy. Even then there was a fairly wide discrepancy in the sizes of the individual thighs. Usually only got 6 good trimmed thighs out of one family pack.

Oh and our results were great at the beginning of the year...not so much at the end of the year, and I don't think we changed anything.

I cooked Miller Amish Country Poultry last year and it did well.

We used Draper Valley thighs and whole birds for the majority of our 2011 events because that is what our sponsor carries. We sucked at chicken this year.

I prefer Albertsons Family Pack Thighs, and the fattier, yellower and more hormones added the better for our Judges! Kroger and Safeway are next on the list - they are all Foster Farms B grade anyway.

Whoah! dude! is that what you been feedin us! :brushteeth:
LOL

We used Draper Valley thighs and whole birds for the majority of our 2011 events because that is what our sponsor carries. We sucked at chicken this year.

I prefer Albertsons Family Pack Thighs, and the fattier, yellower and more hormones added the better for our Judges! Kroger and Safeway are next on the list - they are all Foster Farms B grade anyway.

Back